Hi everyone

As a newbie I've been referred here from the introductions page and I want to know what GFX card to get for my PC.

I've just inherited some money and am getting a spec together for a high-end dual core PC (I've never owned a PC before), with an HD TV/Monitor that supports 1080p, and I want to get the best GFX card (money's not an object) that will give me the best GFX possible and supports my monitor's 1080p.

Can anyone help a poor PC virgin bewildered by the array of GFX cards on the market?

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

ATI's x1950 xtx is the fastest single 9x gpu out now, or for future proofing you could get the Nvidia geforce 8800 GTX 10x card.

ATI's x1950 xtx is the fastest single 9x gpu out now, or for future proofing you could get the Nvidia geforce 8800 GTX 10x card.

Thanks for the reply reezin14

So if I choose the 8800 GTX 10x, that will support my 1080p screen?
I know that currently there are no games that will get the most out of my screen and the 8800, but as you say, it should future-proof me for, say 18 months or so? Or until my monitor/TV goes phut?
Now what specs do I need for my PC. I've heard that I will need 480watts for cooling? Is this correct? And two PCI-E slots are necessary? And what is SLI? Is this incorporated into the 8800 itself or does my PC need to be compatible somehow?
Also the general power of my PC - So far I've been spec'd with a dual-core processor that I know little about, and 512Mb RAM DDR2, with a hard drive of 120 GB with 7200rpm and 8mb.
These are just numbers and letters to me and I don't know what they are for, so if this is the best spec that I need for use with the 8800, or I need to change it and ask for different specs, please advise me and I'll be very grateful.

Thanks everyone

SLI is the use of 2 graphics cards "piggybacked".
Most newer boards ont he market now support this. Just make sure both PCI-e slots are "16X"
As for Power...IF you really want to "future proof" you system, look into a 1kw power supply from PCPOWERANDCOOLING. They are pricey but you will never have power spikes and you upgrade potential is through the roof.
Think about it ! KILOWATT of pure pc power...zoiks!
GL

Thanks for the reply reezin14

So if I choose the 8800 GTX 10x, that will support my 1080p screen?
I know that currently there are no games that will get the most out of my screen and the 8800, but as you say, it should future-proof me for, say 18 months or so? Or until my monitor/TV goes phut?
Now what specs do I need for my PC. I've heard that I will need 480watts for cooling? Is this correct? And two PCI-E slots are necessary? And what is SLI? Is this incorporated into the 8800 itself or does my PC need to be compatible somehow?
Also the general power of my PC - So far I've been spec'd with a dual-core processor that I know little about, and 512Mb RAM DDR2, with a hard drive of 120 GB with 7200rpm and 8mb.
These are just numbers and letters to me and I don't know what they are for, so if this is the best spec that I need for use with the 8800, or I need to change it and ask for different specs, please advise me and I'll be very grateful.

Thanks everyone

No the 480watts specs are minimum required to run the computer as a whole, more would be better though. Make sure that is 12-Volts current rating of atleast 30 Amps (the 8800GTX draws 165watts of that power). The reason for the two PCI slots is because of the cards size, it takes up two slots, make sure your case/tower is big enough one that I know will fit the card is made by Maingear don't remember the model number, but check the website.Get a Core 2 Duo CPU processor from high middle range to top level, E6400 and up. And I would suggest getting some top of the line memory a minium of 1GB at 667Mhz or even 800Mhz(exspensive) the more the merrier,Corsair,OZ just to name a few. The HDD is good enough. For your motherboard I would suggest the EVGA Nvidia nForce 680i SLI just incase you want to add another card in the future. Oh and one last thing make sure to get a copy of Vista, the only OS that will take advantage of Dx10 so far. Hope this helps you out maybe someone else can add something to your rig.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.