hello

iv got a 250gb WD HDD that i have in a External Casing, now the problrm is that when i write anything to it it becomes corrupt, it seems to be any file over the size 10mb (roughly) like for example if i downlowd a 200mb install file and run it off my internal drive it works perfectly but if i transfer it to the externall drive the install says its corrupt, same sorta deal when i make vurtual CD images (through Alcohol 120%), can anyone suggest what the might be or if you know what it is post the solution, if you need anymore infor about it post as well

thanks

Member Avatar for nephros

It is possible that your hard drive had got some bad sectors. They may occur after some rough treatment. Try checking it for bad sectors with Windows scan disk or Norton Disk Doctor. If you would find any , then it means your hdd is dying and you'd better not use it for storing sensetive data.

It is possible that your hard drive had got some bad sectors. They may occur after some rough treatment. Try checking it for bad sectors with Windows scan disk or Norton Disk Doctor. If you would find any , then it means your hdd is dying and you'd better not use it for storing sensetive data.

ok

i tryed out the scan disk and it turned out nothing, said the drive was in perfect condition, then i did some deep scans with some other programs to check the disk out (Spinrite, Nortan Disk Doctor), it also said the disk was in perfect condition, so then i tryed somthing else, i put the HDD in the computer (it was in the External Case as mentioned above) and i tryed writing files to and a success, the files worked, i dunno how the External Case had writen the data all messed up (somthing 2 do with the firm ware perhaps?) any way i just wanted to post this to ask if anyone would know why (or how) the caseing had stuffed the Data transfer up all the time or anyone had heard of this befor?

Member Avatar for nephros

Then it might be a problem with the data cable or a power adapter might be unable to provide sufficient power...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.