I keep getting a message "your current security settings prohibit active x from displaying this message correctly" My settings are set at medium and I ran Adaware and also HJT and saw no issues. I just noticed this today, is there something else I can do? Also the site it popped up on is a site I always visit and it never popped up before.

Thanks
Heidi :lol:

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I keep getting a message "your current security settings prohibit active x from displaying this message correctly" My settings are set at medium and I ran Adaware and also HJT and saw no issues. I just noticed this today, is there something else I can do? Also the site it popped up on is a site I always visit and it never popped up before.

Thanks
Heidi :lol:

I get that here on this site ,but i don't worry about it because im pretty sure it just an add banner ,that i don't care if it runs ok or not anyway .

Ok thanks !! I also changed my settings recently for internet and local internat to medium on both, one was running medium-low so maybe that's why. The page displays correctly so maybe it is a banner thing.

Thanks again,
Heidi

Instead of just adjusting the Settings, you should 'Customize' your ActiveX settings.

The easiest way to get to your ActiveX settings is to Open Internet Explorer, click on the Tools tab, click on Internet Options, click on the Security tab, and then click on the Custom Level button. You will see several options for different settings, go down the list and make the appropriate changes, for example:

This is how I have my ActiveX settings; you can use this as a guide to set your own (If you Enable all the options, you are leaving your system open to unwanted intrusions.):
Download signed ActiveX controls -- Prompt
Download unsigned ActiveX controls -- Disable
Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe -- Disable
Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins -- Enable
Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting -- Enable

The more of these you have Disabled, the safer your system is, but there will be sites that you can't access. Prompting is the next best thing, but constantly clicking OK can be tedious and you usually don't know whether it should be allowed or not. The described combination works best for me, but not be best for you -- it is just shown as a reference.

Hope this helps!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.