Update to the previous "Solved" thread on this issue.

I attempted to just add on to the same thread for the same problem but was told it was solved.

So here goes.

Does anybody know how to solve the SAME problem if one is only able to boot to Windows > Dos Prompt ?

Being that windows only boots to wallpaper (error in explorer) etc. and am unable to install, run programs etc. From the dos prompt I am able to scandisk the C drive, make my way around most if not all the dir's (I didn't waste time with evey dir). And all of the software recommended assume one has Windows booted and running semi-normally - I'm at a loss.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Update to the previous "Solved" thread on this issue.

I attempted to just add on to the same thread for the same problem but was told it was solved.

So here goes.

Does anybody know how to solve the SAME problem if one is only able to boot to Windows > Dos Prompt ?

Being that windows only boots to wallpaper (error in explorer) etc. and am unable to install, run programs etc. From the dos prompt I am able to scandisk the C drive, make my way around most if not all the dir's (I didn't waste time with evey dir). And all of the software recommended assume one has Windows booted and running semi-normally - I'm at a loss.

We need more information here. Asking how to solve the SAME problem doesn't tell us what the "SAME" is. We can assume you mean the infections noted in your title but other than that we know nothing except that you cannot boot the computer. We don't know your operating system, what steps you took to remove the infection or even how you know that these are what you have. Skipping steps as you say you did is not the way to run any operation, whether it is scandisk or a removal program. They are there for a reason and skipping them doesn't help and in fact many times can make matters worse.
Please post back with more information and somebody will be happy to try to help, at this point it is not possible.

My apologies,

Rather frustrating, yet not a viable excuse.

Win XP w/recent updates 9/2/09

Sysmptoms: White X within a Red circle in sys tray next to clock, Unknown AV shortcut on desktop last time it booted to win.

Can't boot to win now as screen either freezes in welcome screen or normal desktop with nothing else. Only able to boot to Safe Mode Dost Prompt.

Mouse & Keyboard function on the frozen screen, but cannt access anything, run ctrl/alt/del - nothing.

Scandisk from C: shows hd is ok (no errors). unable to run any windows programs.

Started with the X/circle & av shortcut and system freezing.

Only able to power down by forcing with power button. Bios seems intact from the basics I know, boot order, hd, f-drives etc.

Maybe a suggestion as to what to run from DOS ??? haven't tried accessing USB etc from Safe Mode (don't think they are available ???

Being that windows only boots to wallpaper (error in explorer) etc.

-- Is this an assumption, or do you get an error message?

-- Do you have a flash drive handy? Or, better yet - are you able to burn some tools onto a CD for use on the ill computer. If so, I'll give you a list and we can go from there.

You will still need a flash drive to post the logs. Are you set up to communicate quickly - another compy handy?

PP :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.