Clicking Control Panel I Get Nothing, So I Can't Add Remove Screwed Up Programs. Can Anyone Tell Me An Alternate Way?
Thanks In Advance.
Terri

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Alternate way to do what? What are you trying to remove specificly?

You can try

Start > run > control

Which should bring up the control panel..

Re: No Control Panel Can't Add Or Remove
Thanks so much for responding. It's not just the control panel but other system tools such as task manager ect. Specifically, it was advised, and so I mistakenly downloaded Internet Explorer 6.0 that included the new Outlook Express version. IE came bundled with a batch of spyware-about blank ect, so I uninstalled it, which didn't uninstall the new Outlook Express. It now doesn't work. I need to access ADD REMOVE PROGRAMS to remove it. I did as you suggested, START-RUN-CONTROL, and all I got was an error message "Cannot find the file CONTROL (or one of its compnents). Make sure the path and File Name are correct and that all required libraries are available. Sounds like maybe this girls in trouble huh?
Terri

What version of windows are you running? I am guessing ME or 98 due to the fact you needed to download IE6 :/

It's windows 98

I am experiencing a similer problem with windows 98. I have been working on a system with many users , someone who thinks they are pritty hot stuff with the computer removed the entire control panel.

I have tried everything I can think of , I have looked at the Control.exe file, this should take me to the control panel, but no, take me to the control panal screen, but no icons are there.

Makes me wonder if someone didn't move all of the control panal icons, or delete them. I have compaired many of the windows 98 files from a sister system with 98 on it and many of the files seem to be there, but I really don't know what I am looking for . I have tried to track down where all of the icons are on the working system and when I do a right mouse click on any of the CP icons it dosent give me an option to follow a link or tell me where it is located.

Would like to get this system up and functioning again so I may be able to use my thumbnail drive with it (USB) and put some new games on the computer.

Thanks

Corey

Boot into safe mode? (does that exist in 98?)

Well after looking around on the net yesterday I found that all the files I am looking for are there, in the *.CPL when I do a search , now I just need to get them back where they should be, should not be too hard of a problem to deal with. I should get it done today. Did get the 'Boat ancor' of a system to recognise my thumb nail drive so that is a plus. I will most likely get it back up running at 50% today. Ha ha.

Corey

Thanks for the info..

I had this too. Asked an IT expert who said start computer in safe mode, i.e. on starting the computer, continually press F8 until the screen comes up saying Start in Safe Mode.

Then after opening in safe mode, run the free AVG (Anti-Virus). When done, restart your computer, then it should work as it did for me

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.