hi guys im in need of help. Lately my browser is messing up. Often when i go to sites i usually go (even this site) the browser says it cant find the site,i have to click it alot of time to go to a certain site. The sites have this URL " http://urlseek.vmn.net/search " before the address so i remove it to enter such sites. I did some research and some say its a virus. Im a malwarebytes and avg 9 user...scanned alot of time but no virus or spyware detected. Also i found a site ( http://forum.securitycadets.com/index.php?showtopic=6864 ) .It says its a AVG toolbar feature, my problem is i cant uninstall the toolbar from my firefox coz the uninstall tab is not active. I think its not compatible with the latest firefox in the 1st place. Also my net has been acting slowly since the "urlseek" came up. Please help me...im not a techie guy,so please gimme a detailed or simple intruction to solve my problem. Appreciate it guys...thanks in advance.

Dex

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

Have you tried selecting view>toolbars> uncheck it?

yes and its not even there...but its in the add ons menu. I can disable it but the uninstall tab is not clickable,also when you click enable it doesnt even show up.

So disable it. Am not certain what you mean when you say when you click enable it doesn't show up. Show up where?

No offense but please understand my problem and scenario 1st before answering. Obviously im talking about a web browser hence the url redirecting problem. To answer where the toolbar should show up...ofcourse im my web browser ( mozilla firefox to be exact ). Its already disabled dude so nothing to disable no more. i was trying to enable it but as ived said the icon/button doesnt work,its not clickable at all. That happend way before when i updated the browser version. I also wanna remove it but the uninstall button/icon doesnt work either just like the enable icon.

If these buttons are greyed out this means the addon is locked and you need to start Firefox in safe mode, not computer safe mode but Firefox safe mode. Close Firefox completely.
Go to Start, All Programs, Mozilla Firefox, Firefox(safe mode) This will start Firefox without any addons or extensions and you should be able to remove it or disable it.
For additional info check this Mozilla page;

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Uninstalling_add-ons

ok thank dude il give it a try. Btw i read on some of my research that this may also be a virus and need to use Hijackthis. But theres a disclaimer that the program is for advance users. Would you happen to know it, coz ived tried malwarebytes and Avg9 but it doesnt detect nothing....thanks

HiJackThis is a scanner program which gives a "snapshot" of processes running, toolbars, BHO's, auto starting programs and services and other info. It will produce a log which should be posted here so that it can be read. It will not change your system or setting unless fixes are recommended using the program. It is considered for advanced users because the logs must be read and interpreted by a helper who will then tell the user what or if anything is needing removal or fixing.
It can be downloaded here, http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/
Download version 2.0.4, run the system scan, save the log and post it back here and we can take a look.

Here it is dude. Thanks

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 9:11:37 PM, on 11/14/2010
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgchsvx.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgrsx.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgcsrvx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Seagate\SeagateManager\FreeAgent Status\StxMenuMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\bcd2kcpan.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG9\avgtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
C:\WINDOWS\vsnp2std.exe
C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\MOM.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\astsrv.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgwdsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgfws9.exe
C:\Program Files\IVT Corporation\BlueSoleil\BTNtService.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\Program Files\Seagate\SeagateManager\Sync\FreeAgentService.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgam.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgnsx.exe
C:\Program Files\Canon\IJPLM\IJPLMSVC.EXE
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
D:\Program Files\Nero\Nero8\Nero BackItUp\NBService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrA.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrB.exe
C:\Program Files\IVT Corporation\BlueSoleil\StartSkysolSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Smith Micro\StuffIt\ArcNameService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Pen_Tablet.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\SoftwareUpdate\YahooAUService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\WTablet\Pen_TabletUser.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Pen_Tablet.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\Canon\CAL\CALMAIN.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\ccc.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugin-container.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe
C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Shared\SkypeNames.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = 0.0.0.0:80
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
R3 - URLSearchHook: AVG Security Toolbar BHO - {A3BC75A2-1F87-4686-AA43-5347D756017C} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
O2 - BHO: &Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn1\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgssie.dll
O2 - BHO: AVG Security Toolbar BHO - {A3BC75A2-1F87-4686-AA43-5347D756017C} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Conversion Toolbar Helper - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - D:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O2 - BHO: SingleInstance Class - {FDAD4DA1-61A2-4FD8-9C17-86F7AC245081} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn1\YTSingleInstance.dll
O3 - Toolbar: AVG Security Toolbar - {CCC7A320-B3CA-4199-B1A6-9F516DD69829} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn1\yt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - D:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: StylerToolBar - {D2F8F919-690B-4EA2-9FA7-A203D1E04F75} - C:\WINDOWS\7SP_Files\Styler\TB\StylerTB.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MaxMenuMgr] "C:\Program Files\Seagate\SeagateManager\FreeAgent Status\StxMenuMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CanonMyPrinter] C:\Program Files\Canon\MyPrinter\BJMyPrt.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CanonSolutionMenu] C:\Program Files\Canon\SolutionMenu\CNSLMAIN.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BCD2000] %SystemRoot%\system32\bcd2kcpan.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG9_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG9\avgtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware] "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe" /starttray
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [snp2std] C:\WINDOWS\vsnp2std.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdobeCS5ServiceManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\CS5ServiceManager\CS5ServiceManager.exe" -launchedbylogin
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DelReg] C:\Program Files\MSI\DualCoreCenter\DelReg.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StartCCC] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe" MSRun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Acrobat Speed Launcher.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Acrobat Synchronizer.lnk = D:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\AdobeCollabSync.exe
O4 - Global Startup: ColorVisionStartup.lnk = C:\Program Files\ColorVision\Utility\ColorVisionStartup.exe
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O18 - Protocol: avgsecuritytoolbar - {F2DDE6B2-9684-4A55-86D4-E255E237B77C} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgpp.dll
O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Skype4COM.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: avgrsstarter - avgrsstx.dll (file missing)
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: AST Service (astcc) - Nalpeiron Ltd. - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\astsrv.exe
O23 - Service: Nalpeiron Licensing Service (ASTSRV) - Nalpeiron Ltd. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ASTSRV.EXE
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Security Toolbar Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\Toolbar\ToolbarBroker.exe
O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (avg9emc) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG WatchDog (avg9wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgwdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Firewall (avgfws9) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgfws9.exe
O23 - Service: AVG9IDSAgent (AVGIDSAgent) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\Identity Protection\Agent\Bin\AVGIDSAgent.exe
O23 - Service: BlueSoleil Hid Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\IVT Corporation\BlueSoleil\BTNtService.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: Canon Camera Access Library 8 (CCALib8) - Canon Inc. - C:\Program Files\Canon\CAL\CALMAIN.exe
O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Acresso Software Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
O23 - Service: Seagate Service (FreeAgentGoNext Service) - Seagate Technology LLC - C:\Program Files\Seagate\SeagateManager\Sync\FreeAgentService.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate) (gupdate) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: Canon Inkjet Printer/Scanner/Fax Extended Survey Program (IJPLMSVC) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Canon\IJPLM\IJPLMSVC.EXE
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: MBAMService - Malwarebytes Corporation - C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
O23 - Service: Nero BackItUp Scheduler 3 - Nero AG - D:\Program Files\Nero\Nero8\Nero BackItUp\NBService.exe
O23 - Service: NMIndexingService - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Nero\Lib\NMIndexingService.exe
O23 - Service: PnkBstrA - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrA.exe
O23 - Service: PnkBstrB - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrB.exe
O23 - Service: ServiceLayer - Nokia - C:\Program Files\PC Connectivity Solution\ServiceLayer.exe
O23 - Service: Start BT in service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\IVT Corporation\BlueSoleil\StartSkysolSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Stuffit Archive Name Service - Smith Micro Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Smith Micro\StuffIt\ArcNameService.exe
O23 - Service: SwitchBoard - Adobe Systems Incorporated - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\SwitchBoard\SwitchBoard.exe
O23 - Service: TabletServicePen - Wacom Technology, Corp. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Pen_Tablet.exe
O23 - Service: Yahoo! Updater (YahooAUService) - Yahoo! Inc. - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\SoftwareUpdate\YahooAUService.exe

--
End of file - 11541 bytes

Run HiJackThis again. Put check marks next to the following entries:
R3 - URLSearchHook: AVG Security Toolbar BHO - {A3BC75A2-1F87-4686-AA43-5347D756017C} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgssie.dll
O2 - BHO: AVG Security Toolbar BHO - {A3BC75A2-1F87-4686-AA43-5347D756017C} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
O3 - Toolbar: AVG Security Toolbar - {CCC7A320-B3CA-4199-B1A6-9F516DD69829} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\Toolbar\IEToolbar.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: avgrsstarter - avgrsstx.dll (file missing)
O23 - Service: AVG Security Toolbar Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\Toolbar\ToolbarBroker.exe

Once you have placed those check marks then click the Fix Checked button. Exit HJT.
Reboot the computer.

Now, several things I need to as or point out, AVG 9 is out of date really, the program is now up to AVG 2011. Is this the paid version? Have you paid for renewal lately? I am not certain why the program would still be AVG 9 as it should gone to the newer version. AVG 9 was known for being quite bloated and resource consuming. It also wasn't or isn't very highly rated either. The newer versions have been somewhat better than 9 and previous versions but it still isn't as highly rated as others out there.
Are you running the paid version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware?

By the way, I am not a "Dude".

yup they are...got no plans of buying a new anti virus yet since they are still up to date and working well. May i know why you ask? Im willing to change AVG to another program or better anti virus though, you got any suggestions? Also may i know why should those commands need fixing? ( so il have better knowledge on whats goin on) Btw sorry for the wrong way of addressing you and assuming you were a guy.

AVG just doesn't do the job that others do. Avira and Avast both rank higher and are less bloated. While these rankings shown in my attachment note Avira Premium which is a paid program the Avira Free and Avast Free are both excellent. I have used Avira Free for several years and am extremely pleased with it. I had used AVG in the past but after several problems with missed infections and the slow down it caused on my machine I went with Avira Free and have been most satisfied. Plus it is very unusual to have requests for cleaning help from people using Avira.

By the way, I am not a "Dude".

I was waiting for it :)

I was waiting for it :)

Me, too ;)

Held off as long as I could:)

so even the avira and avast free version is already good? Il visit their sites and change my anti virus. Thanks

Either one is an excellent choice. Be sure you choose only ONE, that of course is the absolute rule, only ONE anti-virus program should be on a computer.

Here are links for both, choose either one and download the install file to your computer. Then totally Uninstall AVG. Once the uninstall is complete and then install the new one you have chosen.

Avira - http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus

Avast - http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10019223.html?part=dl-85737&subj=dl&tag=button

Either one is an excellent choice. Be sure you choose only ONE, that of course is the absolute rule, only ONE anti-virus program should be on a computer.

Here are links for both, choose either one and download the install file to your computer. Then totally Uninstall AVG. Once the uninstall is complete and then install the new one you have chosen.

Avira - http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus

Avast - http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10019223.html?part=dl-85737&subj=dl&tag=button

No matter which one you choose you will have excellent protection. One other program I always recommend, also free, is SpywareBlaster by Javacool. It silently blocks malware, prevents the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, dialers, browser hijackers, and other potentially unwanted programs.
Install it. Update it, enable protection for latest updates, close it out. MUST HAVE PROGRAM
It does NOT run in the background so there are no conflicts with any other programs you may have.
http://download.cnet.com/SpywareBlaster/3000-8022_4-10196637.html

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.