I have NAV, and am getting the "cannot repair" message for "Hacktool Rootkit". I tried to understand the other posts, but I'm not that savy.
C:\windows\systems32\msvol.tlb

Also, everytime I start my computer and when I open a new program a NAV message says "Norton anitvirus does not support the repair feature, please uninstal and reinstall. This message is posted over a "windows installer" message.

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I have NAV, and am getting the "cannot repair" message for "Hacktool Rootkit". I tried to understand the other posts, but I'm not that savy.
C:\windows\systems32\msvol.tlb

Also, everytime I start my computer and when I open a new program a NAV message says "Norton anitvirus does not support the repair feature, please uninstal and reinstall. This message is posted over a "windows installer" message.

Thanks!

Okay, post the HijackThis log. Hijack This should be all you need for this problem, I suppose. I think you can just delete it.

Also: What does the windows installer window/prompt/alert/what ever you want to call it in this situation :) say? Is it about to install something?

Try the following:

Do a microsoft update. See what happens.

Update your virus definitions.

Scan with NAV in safe mode.

Download the trial verson of Kaspersky Antivirus. Then scan in safe mode.

Run Spybot Search and Destroy in safe mode. Run a full system scan.

----------------
I need more information.

What version Windows are you using? What version NAV are you using?

:)

Thanks so much. I think the problem is solved. I downloaded NAV 2006 and it claimed to have removed Hacktool.Rootkit, Bloodhound and some other virus. It also got rid of the NAV message and the Windows Installer message.
My computer is running faster now too.

If it becomes a problem again, I'll come back here.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.