Hi there,
I am new user for ubuntu, which I liked and found more comfortable than windows, :)
donno whether this is the right form to post my question, please let me know if not,

I have installed ubuntu on my laptop, together with windows,
I have devided the hard drive into 3 drives , windows is on the C, ubunto on the D, and the third is for data in between them ,
each time I started the computer I had a menu to choose between windows or ubuntu,

the situation now that , I had problems with the windows which enforced me to re-install new windows, " formatted the C drive using windows CD" never touched the drive for the ubuntu,

after finishing and every thing is fine with windows , now each time I start the laptop I do not have that menu any more :( , have no option to choose windows or ubuntu, automatically go for the windows as I do not have ubuntu on one drive :S

what should I do to retrieve the menu back? so that I can enter my ubuntu!
hope that is simple to be solved because I have imoprtant data on The ubuntu,

Thanks in advance,

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

The problem is that Windows XP does not have a real boot-loader. It will not recognize Linux the same way linuxes boot loader will recognize windows. You need to reinstall the boot loader that comes with ubuntu (I think it's GRUB). This tutorial I found on a useful blog SHOULD work with ubuntu as well, but if it doesn't just do some google research for something along the lines of "repair grub" or "linux MBR".

http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2005/11/how-to-repair-corrupt-mbr-and-boot.html

thanks both OlyComputers and Slapo, for replying that helped
:)

Hello every one,

I installed kubantu in my laptop. How can I learn the commands and use this os. Can I ask like this or any thing more. Please help me in this.

Thanku

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.