So I read the techpost article on setting up samba to be accessed by windows computer (good article for a newbie) by cscgal. However, being new to Linux, the config settings are eluding me to set the share up to be accessed by clients on my win2k AD network. I would like SAMBA to look to my Win2k PDC for user permissions and lock down the share to a specific user group.

The other question I have is, since I installed RH8 without either GUI, how/where do I go to download the RPM for SAMBA 3 via FTP (i do have the NIC working properly). I was trying to get it from the samba.org site, but I can't find the ftp address.

Cheers,
Topher

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

ftp://us1.samba.org/samba/ftp/bin-pkgs/RedHat/RPMS/i386/

Just pick your version of Red Hat, and download away! Just be sure that you have all of the required packages needed by the RPM to install Samba with. If you don't have them, the install will fail, and it will bark at you, telling which packages are needed.

Thanks.

A FTP is a possibility but I don't think a secure one.

Yes, I have space on disk. The machien is an IBM Xeon about 1GHZ and 512 MB RAM.

I'll upgrade Mandrake to version 9.2 and hope the problem is solved.

Thanks again.

Best regards,

Eduardo

If you want your Linux box to access your Wintel PDC for user authentication, you have to add a line in your smb.conf file pointing to the usermap file:

username map = /etc/samba/smbusers.conf

Also, set security=domain and specify the password server:

security = domain
password server = [Wintel PDC hostname]

To configure the usermap file, simply create a file that lists the Linux usernames and Windows usernames. Example:

# smbusers.conf for mysambamachine.mydomain
# Format is:
# Linux username = Windows username

root = administrator
linuxuser1 = windowsuser1
linuxuser2 = windowsuser2

Roger here,
Have u used yum.... Learn that procedure....There is documentation
that shows how to use this tool... This is a Linux tool... Not all
linux Os's are able to call this application.... Once I found yum, I loved it...
It will save u a lot ot time and trouble.... Have a great day....
yum install samba.....
Yum is a powerful command that finds the RPM's for you and installs
them directly....

So I read the techpost article on setting up samba to be accessed by windows computer (good article for a newbie) by cscgal. However, being new to Linux, the config settings are eluding me to set the share up to be accessed by clients on my win2k AD network. I would like SAMBA to look to my Win2k PDC for user permissions and lock down the share to a specific user group.

The other question I have is, since I installed RH8 without either GUI, how/where do I go to download the RPM for SAMBA 3 via FTP (i do have the NIC working properly). I was trying to get it from the samba.org site, but I can't find the ftp address.

Cheers,
Topher

not exactly an elegant solution, but WebMin is realy good when first tinkering with linux, give you a web based CPanel style interface for pretty much everything including SAMBA and its easy to use.

This thread is from 2003, i think its solved

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.