I'M currently running Vista but am trying to move at least 90% of my computer usage to Linux so I've download Ubuntu. So I burned the ISO to a CD and now I need to know how to install it but give it a separate bigger partition than my Windows. Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Use Partition Magic in windows to get some unpartitionated space, and when you are install ubuntu, in the partition window, just selectat that space and create a ext3 partition on it...also create a swap paritition of 2GB and install :)

I'M currently running Vista but am trying to move at least 90% of my computer usage to Linux so I've download Ubuntu. So I burned the ISO to a CD and now I need to know how to install it but give it a separate bigger partition than my Windows. Thanks.

are you using wubi or the regular ubuntu cd's. Using the regular ubuntu cd's when you install it gives you an option to change hte default partitioning. Just resize it how you see fit. You may want to backup your windows install delete all partitions reinstall windows making a small partition and then install ubuntu in the leftover space as that way you know nothing is overwritten when resizing.

Using wubi just make a partition however big you want.

2GB swap partition is ridiculous, 256MB or 512MB is fine for most systems as you still have your system ram. If you have 2gb of swap look into throwing more ram into your computer as you're just thrashing the hard drive

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.