I am trying to upgrade ubuntu from 9.04 to 9.10.. but the installation says that i have not enough space on /. How do i add the additional space.any command for that? I have installed ubuntu inside windows and the drive in which ubuntu is installed has a little more than 5GB of free space..my swap memory is around 2.6GB (on a 2GB RAM,core2Duo processor) and the total space on that drive is around 20GB.
Also let me know whether plain upgradation to 9.10 will be usefull or not , do u suggest me to uninstall my previous version first and then install 9.10 or simple upgradation would do good? Also i wanna make sure that all the installed packages in my current system remain in 9.10 too..

Further more when i try to start synaptics package manager, i get this error..
Failed to run /usr/sbin/synaptic as user root.
unable to copy the user's Xauthorisation file

The output of df -h on my system is ..maybe this can help u in resolving my issue :p

Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/host/ubuntu/disks/root.disk
                      7.5G  7.2G     0 100% /
tmpfs                 988M     0  988M   0% /lib/init/rw
varrun                988M  140K  988M   1% /var/run
varlock               988M     0  988M   0% /var/lock
udev                  988M  184K  988M   1% /dev
tmpfs                 988M  100K  988M   1% /dev/shm
/dev/sda6              20G   14G  5.9G  71% /host
lrm                   988M  2.2M  986M   1% /lib/modules/2.6.28-19-generic/volatile
overflow              1.0M  1.0M     0 100% /tmp

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Try sudo apt-get clean and sudo apt-get autoremove .

Well tried all that..Anyways my problem is solved now..it seems i had given the installation size of ubuntu as 7GB at the time of installing it along with windows vista..Overtime that got filled..Another problem was that i had not cleaned my tmp folder which had a lot of crap..I cleaned it by navigating to /tmp and typing the command [TEX]rm *[/TEX]
with root previleges(sudo su)..Now I have installed ubuntu 10.10 with an installation size of 15GB ,I think that should be enough..I also got all the previous softwares that were installed in 9.04 to 10.10 with the help of selections, will give more info on how i did that if anyone wants...:icon_smile:

Hi srinivasjinde,

Updating Ubuntu is usually a pain. I can't help much in your specific problem, but I suggestion you upgrade into 10.04(10.10 is not stable if you have some uncommon need).

Besides, you can ask questions in Ubuntu's forums, they are very responsive.

can you tell in what sense 10.10 is unstable? and when can we expect a stable version of it.I'm using ubuntu more frequently now, mostly for coding purpose..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.