I've always been able to navigate through my Windows drive after booting up in my Linux OS but ever since I got Windows 8 there seems to only my a 50/50 change of a successful mount.

When I type this command
sudo mount -t ntfs -o uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000,dmask=0077,fmask=0177 /dev/sdd4 /media/garrett/Windows

I get this error
indows is hibernated, refused to mount.
Failed to mount '/dev/sdd4': Operation not permitted
The NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown
Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume
read-only with the 'ro' mount option.

mounting with RO, although it works it defeats the purpose of the mount.

I don't get it, Windows has been shutting down just fine.

I've also attached a picture of the error from the Desktop GUI in Linux Mint.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Yea, this is extremely annoying feature of Microsoft Windows 8. When you "shutdown" your computer, it doesn't actually shutdown, it hibernates just like Windows 7 or Windows XP would. Microsoft instead of trying to fight the cause, they fight the effect.

If you're willing to actually shut down your Windows installation. Swap there, log in, move your mouse to top-right corner, swipe downwards alongside the right side of your screen. You'll notice "Power" button with well known icon. Shutdown using this icon, and watch out, starting Windows again, may take some time, as well as closing it.

If you shut down Windows in this manner, it will be actual shut down and Linux will easily access these files.

Watch out though, Linux triggers something on Windows partitions, sometimes when you access NTFS files from Linux, and then you return to Windows, you are able to see all files, system files, boot files, configuration files.

That's actually the way I shut window$ every time already.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.