I'm running an ASUS P2B-F motherboard with a 7gb hard drive. I'm trying to install Windows 98 SE, when I try run fdisk I get a 'No fixed disks present' error.

In the bios I can see that my hard drive is recognised.

I've tried the following ways to resolve this:

Swapping ribbon cables
Checking jumpers
Trying a different hard drive
Trying different config in BIOS

I just cannot get it to work!

Pentium 3 500MHZ
7GB Hard drive
ASUS P2B-F motherboard

PLEASE HELP I'M DESPERATE TO GET THIS RUNNING!

Cheers.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

if you're using the bootable win 98 se installer, just load it and configure BIOS to boot from CD and let the installer do the partitioning and formatting

try setting the jumper to cable select, and do as CGUAN suggest

Hey dont mess with this function ... is what i recommend too much experimentation with this command can lead to hard disk crash .... happened to me :( ..!!!
Just let windows do the partitioning !!!

Hey salim . u r rite .. happened to me once tried alot of tweaks on my pc and ended up with a crashed HDD .... :( ... So play safe !!!

Hey dont mess with this function ... is what i recommend too much experimentation with this command can lead to hard disk crash .... happened to me :( ..!!!
Just let windows do the partitioning !!!

the crash can mean different things to different people ,i've used fdisk for years, even in my early learning years and never crashed a hdd.,wiper out the wrong partition a few times but that about it ,what do mean crashed

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.