Hi everyone, i have a little problem.

i was looking at upgrading RAM. i removed one of my 2 512mbs. after examining it, i replaced it, the came 512, in the same slot.

that's all i did, now my system wont boot, no screen, lots of beeps. I've tried booting without ram, without my graphics. all to the same effect.

can anybody give me some ideas on what to do? im at a loss, please help.

thanks,

Ben

dell dimension 5150
2.4Ghz intel dual core
1Gb RAM

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Can you get into the BIOS at all to verify the memory is actually installed? I am also assuming you placed the memory back into slot correctly and it is properly seated.

no, no BIOS, the screen dosen't even break from standby.

ive checked the seating a thousand times. the only thing i can think of is the Mobo. *GULP*

am i being rash, or is there anything i can do?

thanks.

no, no BIOS, the screen dosen't even break from standby.

ive checked the seating a thousand times. the only thing i can think of is the Mobo. *GULP*

am i being rash, or is there anything i can do?

thanks.

did you unplug the computer from the power source ,hold the power button in for about 30 seconds to drain power from motherboard ,did you touch the metal case to ground yourself before touching the ram stick.!! if no you could have fried the ram chip ,dose the computer work with just the one stick of ram in that you didn't remove .

ok. problem solved.

thanks everyone for your help. the problem was that the PC couldn't recognise that i re-inserted the ram unit.

i reset the cmos and it let me into bios. changed a few settings back and all is fine and good in the tower again.

thanks for your help anyway.

ps yes, i was grounded to the case, and the ram units are fine. (just purchased 2 more 1 gigs anyway :) )

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.