as the description says im having problems installing windows 95, im trying to install the OS on a compaq LTE 5100 with a swapable floppy and cd-rom drive, heres where it gets sticky the hard drive is already formatted so i dont have the cd rom drivers any more and the olny copy of windows 95 i have is on cd, if anyone can help me with this i would really appriciate it.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

The only think I can think of off hand that you could do is make a bootable CD-Rom with windows 98 on it and copy the windows95 disk to it also. Then I think you could boot to the disk and run setup. Of course you need somebody's working machine with a burner to do it.

Find someone with a Windows 98 system and make a startup diskette on their machine. Use it to start the system with CD-ROM support. Using a Windows 98 startup diskette is preferable anyway!

I don't think he can do that because he needs to change the floppy drive to the cd in the middle of the install and he can't. The older laptops didn't allow for hot swapping the drive.

He may have an even bigger problem, judging by the specs on that notebook: 133mhz (or SLOWER, that was the fastest in that series) Pentium. I doubt its bios supports bootable CD. :(

Get win 95 on floppy.. Install it then install 98 w/cdrom drive,Will work then..

Get win 95 on floppy.. Install it then install 98 w/cdrom drive,Will work then..

you can get any boot disk you require at www.allbootdisks.com.enjoy.

as the description says im having problems installing windows 95, im trying to install the OS on a compaq LTE 5100 with a swapable floppy and cd-rom drive, heres where it gets sticky the hard drive is already formatted so i dont have the cd rom drivers any more and the olny copy of windows 95 i have is on cd, if anyone can help me with this i would really appriciate it.

you need the file CDENAB.EXE it forces the CD rom to boot to the CD.

cdenab.exe only creates a boot floppy that can access a cdrom drive. He can't use a boot floppy, because he only has the capability to use either a floppy or a CD at one time. The drives are not hot swappable so if he boots from a floppy, he cannot run the CD setup. He can't boot from the CD, because his machine doesn't support that.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.