I have been having problems with my computer and it has something to do with stopping a windows update in the middle.
is there a way to uninstall Internet Explorer and then reinstall it. i have even done a clean install of windows 2000 and i still get the same problem.
the problems include
1. Search files program never starts up
2. IE gets stuck stops doing anything although I can open a new window.
3. If i try to do all the windows updates I get the message "A previous installation has pending work
requiring a reboot. You need to restart
your computer to complete that installation
before running Internet Explorer Setup.
Setup will close now"
4. I have found out that I can close a pending registry key that will allow the windows update , but it does not fix anything that is wrong.
Help, what do I do?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Get firefox
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
It will save you the hassle of spyware and, it doesn't have nearly as many security problems.

-Tino

I have been having problems with my computer and it has something to do with stopping a windows update in the middle.
is there a way to uninstall Internet Explorer and then reinstall it. i have even done a clean install of windows 2000 and i still get the same problem.
the problems include
1. Search files program never starts up
2. IE gets stuck stops doing anything although I can open a new window.
3. If i try to do all the windows updates I get the message "A previous installation has pending work
requiring a reboot. You need to restart
your computer to complete that installation
before running Internet Explorer Setup.
Setup will close now"
4. I have found out that I can close a pending registry key that will allow the windows update , but it does not fix anything that is wrong.
Help, what do I do?

or.. netscape 7.2 ..

youre a little behind in your IE rev but at any rate.. uninstalling IE

first download the new browser of choice to your desktop so you can find it easy and
install it from one of the following:
Firefox
www.getfirefox.com click download in the green panel on the upper right hand side
it will download "Firefox Setup 1.0PR" from the ftp.mozilla.org site.
(thier logo reminds me of the tatoo on dudes back on 'Wild Arms" anyone else notice this? yeah! go evil race!)

Netscape 7.2
http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/download.jsp and click on the red "Free Download"
button. It will download NSSetup.exe from ftp.netscape.com.

Internet Explorer 6.0
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.mspx
use the download pullright menu on the left hand top side of the page..
download and dont install this just yet make sure you get the full version
now for the removal part [after download is complete] from the start button on
your taskbar in the lower left hand corner of your screen..

Start> Control panel > Add/Remove Programs
then select any goodies that need to go.. Internet explorer.. Coupons & offers..
XXX.. anything that is crap will be obvious. Firefox and netscape can be
installed at any time but IE6 will have to be installed after IE5 is
removed and your computer has been rebooted. Then install IE6, reboot &..

..Enjoy

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.