When my computer starts up I get a message that say....
common name tool bar /cnbabe did not start properly then I click OK..
now when I try to use my msconfig it only pops up on the screen for about 1 sec and dissapears,I think it is because off the start up problem,but I don't know what to do.
Can anyone help me please.
thanks,
Alex :)

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Try doing it in Safe Mode. When you boot your computer, hit <F8> and then select "Safe Mode", and hit <Enter>. You should then be able to use MSCONFIG to do whatever you need to do.

Additionally, you might want to look into further Spyware solutions. Check the last link in my sig, and consider checking out some spyware removal tools like SpyBot or Ad Aware.

you know what i have almost the same problem with you the msconfig just pop for a second! i have reformatted my pc cause i suspected a virus infection bec. my winxp just turn like win98 win i restore it to previous restore point but im not telling you to reformat your pc, just check if any virus is involved.
Godbless+

you know what i have almost the same problem with you the msconfig just pop for a second! i have reformatted my pc cause i suspected a virus infection bec. my winxp just turn like win98 win i restore it to previous restore point but im not telling you to reformat your pc, just check if any virus is involved.
Godbless+

I tried it in safe mode and it worked,I was able to turn alot off stuff off that didn't need to be on,but now that I am back in to my normal mode,I still don't have the ability to start ms config,it still only pops up for a sec,I ran the hijackthis but I have no idea what to delete and what not too.

When my computer starts up I get a message that say....
common name tool bar /cnbabe did not start properly then I click OK..
now when I try to use my msconfig it only pops up on the screen for about 1 sec and disappears

In addition to Common Name, which is spyware, you probably have a virus or Trojan that is disabling MSConfig and, likely, Regedit. In the long term, you will need to download and run a spyware killer such as Spybot - Search & Destroy or Adaware followed by running HijackThis and posting the log to the Security Forum. See my Malware article (link below) for details on all of this. In the short term, a decent substitute for MSConfig is Codestuff Starter. It can be used to look at or kill startups and processes, as well as save the lists as text for further analysis.

Thanks guys I got my msconfig to work fine now,god there is alot off programs out there that I had no idea about,thanks for the help,I ran hijackthis and now I just need to determine what to delete and what to keep,this stuff is all new to me,once again thanks
Ally71

Thanks guys I got my msconfig to work fine now,god there is alot off programs out there that I had no idea about,thanks for the help,I ran hijackthis and now I just need to determine what to delete and what to keep,this stuff is all new to me,once again thanks
Ally71

Google is your friend. When I need to read an HJT log, that's the first reference I use.

I tried it in safe mode and it worked,I was able to turn alot off stuff off that didn't need to be on,but now that I am back in to my normal mode,I still don't have the ability to start ms config,it still only pops up for a sec,I ran the hijackthis but I have no idea what to delete and what not too.

you can actually download MSCONFIG. just type it in a browser and you can find it there

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.