Current network

2x Windows NT4 PCs (pentium 2s with 128mb ram)
2x windows 2000 pro pcs (256mb ram pentium 3s)
2x windows xp pro pcs (512 ram pentium 4s)
1x vista buisness pc (1.5gb ram, pentium 4)

1x NT4 terminal server (512 ram, pentium 3)
1x NT4 PDC/Fileserver (384 ram, pentium 2)
1x NT4 BDC/Webserver (256ram, pentium 3)

i plan to upgrade the NT4 boxes to it to windows 2000/2003 (apart from the terminal server)

anyone anticipate any problems?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

According to Microsoft's minimum requirements you should be ok. The processor on your pdc might be a concern if you're going to 2003. I think Microsoft recommends 550 MHz though it will run with less.

On the other hand, according to Murphy in regards to upgrading any Microsoft os ....
backup, backup, backup and don't make any other plans for the near future.

You're very brave. ;^)

the pdc has dual 266mhz pentium 2s, the server-class ones with extra cache.

i am a it worried about the specs too. The BDC has dual pentium 3 xeons at 699mhz so i think what ill do is upgrade the ram and make that the new server 2003 PDC.

e,g proposed setup

1x NT4 terminal server (512 ram, pentium 3) - KEEPING THAT AS-IS
1x NT4 PDC/Fileserver (384 ram, pentium 2) - GONNA BECOME A STANDALONE FILESERVER
1x NT4 BDC/Webserver (256ram, pentium 3) - GONNA GET RAM + 2003 AND BE THE PDC / IIS Server

its the workstations im not sure about though.

2x Windows NT4 PCs (pentium 2s with 128mb ram) - UPGRADE TO 2000?????? SLOW?
2x windows 2000 pro pcs (256mb ram pentium 3s) - LEAVE AS-IS - MAYBE XP LATER
2x windows xp pro pcs (512 ram pentium 4s) - LEAVE AS-IS
1x vista buisness pc (1.5gb ram, pentium 4) - NEEDS MORE RAM ANYWAY

also, do you know if the CALs are transferrable from NT to 2k3 or do i need new ones?
NT4 Cals are paper (lol nt4 trusts you to enter the right numbers) whereas 2000+ CALs are digital.

ATM i have got 10 NT4 cals and 10 backoffice cals for concurrent connections as well a 5 terminal services CALs (only 2 clients use it so its ok)

I've always found windows 2000 to run slow period, even on dual xeons with a gb ram; PII and 128MB will be slow for sure but will run ok. I had a PII 400 thinkpad with 128mb that ran fine provided I remain patient.

You need a law degree and a PhD in computer science to figure out Microsoft's server licensing. I doubt that they'd let you transfer(i think nt4 licenses would only apply to an nt4 server) but I don't know for sure. I just tried a quick look at their knowledge base and now my brain hurts. Good luck!

I had a PII 400 thinkpad with 128mb that ran fine provided I remain patient.

my 699mhz one, with 128 runs nt very fast, 2000 fast - xp slowwwwwwwww (its a thinkpad r30)

lol small business server 2003 + 5 CALS (academic version, i am a student) is cheaper than like 5 additional CALs for 2000 (the vista business pc isnt actually connected to any networks, just need the functionality for college)

so i might just put SBS 2003 onto what is currently the terminal server and get rid of all the nt4 boxes (ebay)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.