I build a home network with a desktop running on xp x64 (1) and a laptop running on xp x32/SP2 (2). The shared folders from (1) are shown on (2), but on (1), I get the message:
"\\laptop cannot be accessed. ...".

On (1), I run "msinfo32.exe":
System Information->Components->Network->Protocol does not show the " MSAFD NetBIOS [...]" fields. I reinstalled nettcpip.inf. No change.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
jamel

I build a home network with a desktop running on xp x64 (1) and a laptop running on xp x32/SP2 (2). The shared folders from (1) are shown on (2), but on (1), I get the message:
"\\laptop cannot be accessed. ...".

On (1), I run "msinfo32.exe":
System Information->Components->Network->Protocol does not show the " MSAFD NetBIOS [...]" fields. I reinstalled nettcpip.inf. No change.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
jamel

I realize you posted this 20 days ago, did you figure it out? You don't need NetBIOS configured in order to make that work. I have the exact same configuration; Vista 64-bit desktop and XP 32-bit laptop, and they communicate fine over TCPIP. All you need to do is to create an account on your desktop for your laptop user. Call it whatever you like, in this example, we'll call it Fred. On the desktop, Start - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Users, and create a user called Fred. Give Fred a password.

Then using Windows Explorer, go to the Shared folder you want to use on your desktop, right-click and choose Share... From the drop-down list, choose the username you just created (Fred), and click Add. You can change the rights if you like, but the basic rights will at least allow Fred to view the files. Then go to your laptop, and in Windows Exploere, choose Tools - Map Network Drive. Use the IP address instead of the desktop name, such as this : \\192.168.1.100\share Obviously you have to put in the correct IP address, and you have to put in the correct share name. Then click on the link to "Connect Using a Different User name". You will be prompted for you username and password. Enter in Fred, and Fred's password. That's it, you are done.

You can of course sub in your Windows username and password from the laptop instead of Fred if you like, but I generally find it easier to make up a username like that which is only used for the desktop's shared directories.

R.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.