hi

i'm new on this and i need some help to config a email server on win xp pro to use it only in the company ...

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Need more information:

What kind of email server/what software package?

how many users?

XP Pro SP3 / SP 2?

are all the PC's running the same patch level?

are the PC's on the internet? or local lan only?

go for the free mailenable software
but XP is by no means a valid server system, and will not work in a production environment

Server 2003 or a Linux/UNIX based system would probably be better

how many users?

XP Pro SP3 / SP 2?
i'm using win xp pro sp2

yes

local lan

more info
is for a internal issue report so when emplo. have issue will send it to this e-mail server....

Need more information:

What kind of email server/what software package?

how many users?

XP Pro SP3 / SP 2?

i belive Linux is better but witch linux ?

Server 2003 or a Linux/UNIX based system would probably be better

Linux, UNIX or 2003.dont try runnning a 500 client mail server on XP pro. It wont work.

but if you guys want commercial support, go for Redhat. IF you cant afford redhat, get CentOS (free) - no support but the upside of it is that most techies know redhat, and there identical, so if you have major problems, you can get help from an independant source.

you mean you need a ticketing system? just get one of those, and don't invent the wheel again

more info
is for a internal issue report so when emplo. have issue will send it to this e-mail server....

Ok now I read this 2 ways, one is a helpdesk type of ticketing system, and the second it a secondary email system that is secure to internal lan only.

For 500+ people you really need a server setup and NOT to use XP at all. Depending on your experience level, you can go with a Linux server (RedHat, SuSE, Fedora for example) and there is lots of free software for that OS that can be used. Other wise will need a windows server with Exchange or some other type of email server software.

At this point it depends on who is going to administer the server and the accounts, and what type of OS are they used to working on.

Exactly. Exhange or something like Postfix.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.