I've just been given a computer with windows ME installed all is ok except on the control panel or c: drive no icons appear. The amount of items is shown in bottom left corner (indicating that there are some) but I can't click on anything (or even see them) and therefore can't change any of the user settings etc. I've tried all the obvious things but with no luck. All other options are OK (i.e. floppy disk, recycle bin, my documents etc.) Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

It's possible that your explorer is corrupted. The best and easiest way to fix it is to do a "Windows Refresh". You simply install WIndows without reformatting the drive and it should restore all your settings without losing your files. it will ask you if you want to save your system files click "yes"

Thanks for your help - but how do I do a "Windows Refresh" is it by using the installation disk that came with the computer? If so, I have done this but it didn't fix, however, I have noticed that I can get the control panel files off the start menu - settings - control panel - then there is another menu with the items listed! Perhaps this is how Windows ME is set up - I don't know. If all else fails I can at least access the settings this way.
P.S. when you say 'explorer' - do you mean 'windows explorer'?
Cheers.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.