Hi all,
most (not all) of the icons on my desk top have somehow been changed to all be the same. I think the program icon was from Disk keeper but I'm not sure. I removed the program using the uninstall feature but the icons are all still the same. If I try to refresh the desktop the original icons flash for a second and then just revert back to all the same again. Have my icons been hijacked or something. I have run my virus program a couple of times and run spybot too but can't seem to work it out.

Any help would be greatfully appreciated.

Chelseapop :o

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

There is a free program you can download from Microsoft's site called Tweak UI. There should be a feature in the program to Rebuild Icons.

There is a free program you can download from Microsoft's site called Tweak UI. There should be a feature in the program to Rebuild Icons.

Thanks for the reply. TWEAK UI did work but when I need to restart or reboot my computer they all revert back to the 'hijacked' icon and I have to go through the procedure again.

How many icons are we talking about maybe you could just delete them one at a time and then go to that programs folder in C:\ programs file or where ever it maybe and right click on the. EXE and send to to the desktop as a shortcut!

How many icons are we talking about maybe you could just delete them one at a time and then go to that programs folder in C:\ programs file or where ever it maybe and right click on the. EXE and send to to the desktop as a shortcut!

Approx 12 icons. The ones that didn't change were Internet Explorer, a firewall program update (that I hadn't yet deleted) and My Computer. I did try deleting as you suggested but when I tried to put in the new ones, the 'hijacked' icon just reappeared on the screen.

Chelseapop

click on the icon and click properties / change icon . and navagiate to this file and try changing the icon .
C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll

click on the icon and click properties / change icon . and navagiate to this file and try changing the icon .
C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll

Hi Caperjack,
tried what you suggested but to no avail. So I just kept changing them manually using Tweak UI every time I needed to reboot the computer. But lo and behold, I restarted the computer yesterday and again this morning and all the original icons magicly appeared. I won't question the Gods by asking why. :lol:

Well i had the same prob.. icons that are locked. Then i tried use the system reboot (im not sure if its named that on english ,heh) "start\programs\accessories\systemtools\" and here should be the exe file that makes a control point, so it saves the important system files and can re-install them later.. so if i installed a program and my computer ****s up i could run this and run an earlier point, which will make all my system setting back to normal. (Won't delete games or stuff, but if ye deletet a lot of stuff in start since.. hehe u start over again) But it worked when i did it. If ye didn't make a point before i think it autosaves sometimes..

(only xp got this)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.