Hey everyone.

I work at a library and I have some public access computers for searching our catalog with internet explorer. I want the user to not be able to close this internet explorer window, and I believe the setting for that is in the Group Policy Object Editor snap-in in the MMC. I was wondering if anyone could point me to the right options in order to accomplish this. I think that once it is enabled it is a system-wide setting, and that I won't be able to close any windows, but I'm willing to make that sacrifice so I won't be getting bothered every time the internet explorer gets closed and no one knows how to bring it back up.

Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Member Avatar for novist4me

Try typing in gpedit.msc ( group policy editor ) and navigate to

User Configuration->Administrative Templates->Windows Components->Internet Explorer->Browser menus

Then locate the following setting

File menu: Disable closing the browser and Explorer windows

Let us know if that solves the issue. This works for IE 6 and 7 on Windows XP professional

commented: Thanks! +1

Thank you very much for the reply. I will be trying this solution within the hour and I'll tell ya how it goes.

Thanks again! :icon_smile:

Alright. The solution worked perfectly. Thanks a lot!

Member Avatar for novist4me

your're welcome!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.