I want to completely erase all data using DBAN. I have a few questions about how I should go about reinstalling Windows afterwards:

1. Will Windows installer start as usuall - that is just by insterting the CD?

2. Can BIOS be accessed after the process?
(I'll be using a floppy disk to run DBAN. Since they say that the BIOS should be set to boot from the floppy drive first, before starting DBAN, I wondered whether it is possible to access BIOS again after the process to set the boot order to boot from the CD-rom first?)

I have reinstalled Windows XP many times, but I've never done this before, so I am a bit nervous. Hope that you tech guys can help me.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I want to completely erase all data using DBAN. I have a few questions about how I should go about reinstalling Windows afterwards:

1. Will Windows installer start as usuall - that is just by insterting the CD?
Yes, as long as the bios is set to boot from the cd first. and you have a bootable CD
2. Can BIOS be accessed after the process?
Yes the bios can be access after the wipe. the bios is not stored on the area to be wipe
(I'll be using a floppy disk to run DBAN. Since they say that the BIOS should be set to boot from the floppy drive first, before starting DBAN, I wondered whether it is possible to access BIOS again after the process to set the boot order to boot from the CD-rom first?) after the wipe change the bios back to boot from the cd first.

I have reinstalled Windows XP many times, but I've never done this before, so I am a bit nervous. Hope that you tech guys can help me.

to be honest you don't need to use Dban to wipe the disk, when you run windows setup it will detect the partitions on you pc. the best thing to do is delete the partition then create a new one then format all this can be done in widows setup.
Dban is mainly when you want to throw out a old pc or give it to some one and you want to make sure that all data is deleted first.

Thank you so much for the quick reply. I've been searching the web for this information for hours and hours.

I have to do this because my computer got infected with a virus and I did a clean install of windows with formating and partitioning, already. But I am not sure whether the virus is really gone. The computer is slow etc (maybe paranoia :) ) I have sensitive information in my computer and want to be really sure that everything is clean, before I put the files back.

Thanks again for the help.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.