I have been trying to access a website on my computer and the browser says that it is unavailable. I have gone through all the suggested help suggestions but still cannot access the page. If I try on a friends computer it works. I am not sure whether it is something to do with my firewall. I did disable it and it still didn't work. Does anyone have any suggestions?

;)

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

scan for spyware; check cookies settings; try diffenrent browser.

I too have the same problem using IE6 on XP home edition. I have run spybot, adaware, virus scan, deleted all cookies & temp internet files, reviewed hosts file, confirmed page refresh on every visit, downloaded and ran WinsockXPFix, regedit to remove keys, used the XP OS repair utility that came with my PC along with all other suggestions found on the web while searching for a fix to the problem. nothing worked.

I have a home network with 4 PC's. All PCs run the same McAfee firewall & virus protection and all PC's have spybot and adaware. My laptop is the only one of the 4 PC's experiencing this problem.

I have identified 2 websites that I was able to get to 4 weeks ago, but can no longer get to on my laptop, while all other PC's in the house can still access.

this is very frustrating and i have seen by searching on the web that there are a lot of new postings in the past couple of months on different boards with this problem.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi jn2004,

First of all- welcome to TechTalk!

We ask that members not tag their questions on to a thread previously started by another member (regardless of how similar your problem might seem). Not only does it divert the focus of the thread away from the original poster's problem, but it also makes it less likely that you yourself will get the individual attention that you need.

Please start your own thread and post your question there. When you do, please try to give us as much specific info as possible regarding the problem (exact error messages, system specs, etc.).

For a full description of our posting guidelines and general rules of conduct, please see this page:

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/faq.php?faq=daniweb_faq#faq_rules

Thanks for understanding.

scan for spyware; check cookies settings; try diffenrent browser.

Hello. I have a user that is having this issue (unable to get to www.symantec.com). I can browse to other sites without issues. I ran spysweep and cleaned up some stuff, checked her IE settings with a computer that can get to the site in question. All looks the same. I even tried Firefox and get "connection refused" Ideas? Thanks..

Hi StormChaser,

Please read my above reponse to jn2004's post regarding our rules on members "tagging" their own/new questions on to a thread started by another member.

Due to the fact that the member who originally started this thread has not responded in quite a long time, this thread is considered abandoned and has been closed.

In accordance with our posting rules, other members having similar problems should start their own threads and post their questions there. In order to help us help you most quickly, please include as much information about your problem as possible in your posts.

If the member who originally started this thread wishes to have the thread reopened, please send your request, including a link to this thread, to one of our moderators via email or Private Message.

Thank you.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.