My mom give me this scanner, Visioneer One Touch 5300 usb, and the cd that came with it is win 98. Without using cd I plugged it in and used my subcription to driver guide.com to find the driver, it recognized the device and give me the driver, I installed it and win xp recognized the scanner then and installed driver. When I start the scanner it tells me to click to connect, then searches, then tells me it can not connect to scanner. If I just start the scanner in program files, it will come up so you can lay out the scanner job, but when I select scan, I get an error say this, "OneTouch Monitor has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."
My Brother had this working on Win XP on moms old CPU, But he is out of pocket on buisness for a couple of weeks. Any Clues, tips, or help, I would be very thankful for.

WOW,,, I did it.

Here's how!!!!
If you are getting an error message for missing MAXKERNL.dll, you will need all 5 of these files. Copy them into the following folders
c \paprport

c \Windows

c \Windows\system

c \Windows\system32

You will also want to copy these into c \program files\visioneer\PaperPort if there is such a folder.

Good luck!

File Contents
Length Date Time Name
-------- ---- ---- ----
72704 04-12-99 18:50 PPERR.DLL
46592 04-12-99 18:52 MAXUTIL.DLL
150016 04-12-99 18:55 MAXKERNL.DLL
68608 04-12-99 18:53 MAXCODEC.DLL
140288 04-12-99 18:58 MAXRAST.DLL
-------- -------
478208 5 files

You get these by down loading these two files from driver guide
1)5300usbScanner_Drivers.zip
2)onetouchdlls.zip
I am learning,,,, maybe should have read more before I posted, but may be this will help someone else!!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.