I have tried installing different versions of Ares on my Vista Home but to no avail. I cannot connect and I cannot share any files ( File sharing does not appear ) Every thing else seems to be OK but as I said, I cannot File share.
I have tried every thing I can think of.
Is my Firewall blocking this application or do I have to change ports or any thing to access this Program.
I know friends have no problem with it at all, only my computer.
What is wrong?
Brian

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Vista can be a real pain when it comes to sharing files across the network. go to your Network and Sharing Center and make sure all the settings in the Sharing and Discovery section are setup correctly.

Nah he wants to p2p share, not windows fileshare.

Your ISP or Firewall is probably blocking it.

No luck doing anything. I can't get to the part in Control Panel where it says "File sharing".
The last along my tab bar is "Bit torrent"
How can I get to file share if I can't even see it to share files? That is my quandary at the moment.
I have tried just about every version of Ares there is and still no luck finding "File Sharing"
My ISP says No and windows firewall has been turned off and still no luck
Any answers out there please.

does Ares actually support vista?

Yes it does, I installed Ares 2.0.9.3030 on my mates computer across the road, he is running Vista Premium, no problems at all. He downloads what ever he wants too.
I am running Vista Home, ( basically no difference except for a few extras on his ) and I cannot get Ares to show the " File Sharing" tab.
I have contacted my ISP and checked all my settings against his computer and still no luck.
I know of others who have this installed on Vista Home and are using it no problems.
This has me buggered.
Any suggestions appreciated folks. ( Besides throwing the computer over the balcony )
Brian

dont know what the problem is, sorry

No problems mate, I will keep trying and see what happens. When I get it sorted out I will post the fix here for all if they need it.

Most likely it is the UAC interferring and must be turned off. Or, you can get a different version of Ares, like Aresvista, which is made specifically for Vista and Windows 7 machines and won't have this problem.

I have tried installing different versions of Ares on my Vista Home but to no avail. I cannot connect and I cannot share any files ( File sharing does not appear ) Every thing else seems to be OK but as I said, I cannot File share.
I have tried every thing I can think of.
Is my Firewall blocking this application or do I have to change ports or any thing to access this Program.
I know friends have no problem with it at all, only my computer.
What is wrong?
Brian

Most likely it is the UAC interferring and must be turned off. Or, you can get a different version of Ares, like Aresvista, which is made specifically for Vista and Windows 7 machines and won't have this problem.

I don't agree with you buddy :)
It is risky to turn UAC off. Just right click on the file/shortcut and go to properties and tick checkbox that says run as admin to elevate that program each time it runs. Don't turn off please ;)

Will give this a go and see what happens, if I have any luck I will post again with the results.

Is my Firewall blocking this application

go to firewall settings and check

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.