Internet explorer pop up blocker doesnt work

Member Avatar
allenlamp
Newbie Poster
1 post since Dec 2004
Reputation Points: 0 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 0 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 0 [?]

Even when I go to pop up blocker settings, and click on block all pop ups, it still doesnt work...I have norton antivirus 2004, could that be the problem? Any ideas?

Member Avatar
Bear
Light Poster
41 posts since Apr 2004
Reputation Points: 1 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 2 [?]

I recommend The Google Toolbar, it's free and includes a popup blocker that does a good job.

Member Avatar
Dani
The Queen of DaniWeb
20,551 posts since Feb 2002
Reputation Points: 1,356 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 927 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 204 [?]
Administrator
Featured
Sponsor

Keep in mind that most popup blockers will only blog new browser windows from opening - they won't stop DHTML advertisements such as fly-ins, etc. that may appear to be popups but really aren't.

Member Avatar
RahulS
Newbie Poster
2 posts since Sep 2007
Q&As Helped to Solve: 0 [?]

Problem 1
Pop-up blocker option missing under Tools menu in Internet Explorer 6.0 in Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002

Reason: This is due to a restriction set in the registry or via Group Policy Editor in Windows XP Professional.

Solution
To get the Pop-up Blocker menu (and the Pop-up Management functionality) back, try this:

Open Registry Editor and navigate to the following keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Policies \ Microsoft \ Internet Explorer \ Restrictions

-and-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Policies \ Microsoft \ Internet Explorer \ Restrictions

In the right-pane, double-click NoPopupManagement if exists, and set it to 0

Close Registry Editor

New Problem
I don't have the above keys!

Member Avatar
fxj10cn
Newbie Poster
12 posts since Sep 2007
Q&As Helped to Solve: 1 [?]

Keep in mind that most popup blockers will only blog new browser windows from opening - they won't stop DHTML advertisements such as fly-ins, etc. that may appear to be popups but really aren't.

My software can do what you have said : DHTML advertisements such as fly-ins . You can test it at http://www.popuptest.com

Member Avatar
The Dude
Nearly a Senior Poster
3,430 posts since Dec 2005
Reputation Points: 944 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 78 [?]

Newer versions of MyIE2 (Maxthon) can block those "Fly ins" (hehehe) quite nicely......... (And i think you can do it in MyIE2 also if you know what URL to add to content filter)

You
This article has been dead for over three months: Start a new discussion instead
View similar articles that have also been tagged: