Where does the Active Directory know to find the *.bat file found in a user's profile properties Profile tab.

For example when I go into the Microsoft Management console and I'm under a certain OU and open the properties of a user. there are several tabs:
1. Member OF
2. Environment
3. Sessions
etc,...etc..

and under the Profile tab: there is a Logon Script.
In our company there is a batch file for each OU. Where in Active directory do you set the settings so it knows where to look for that particular batch file.

for example if Joe Shmoe has ILOVEU.BAT in his Logon Script that actuall file "ILOVEU.BAT" must physically reside somewhere on a network server nah? Or Does it?

and how does it know where to get it?

thanks in advance for your help..and I hope my question makes sense.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

You know I think I got the beef of your question I been playing around with that and drop it in the Windows Folder the batch file and make sure you point inside just the Windows folder let me know the results that should work I had no luck running them on another drive or anywhere else expect in the Windows folder.

Where does the Active Directory know to find the *.bat file found in a user's profile properties Profile tab.

For example when I go into the Microsoft Management console and I'm under a certain OU and open the properties of a user. there are several tabs:
1. Member OF
2. Environment
3. Sessions
etc,...etc..

and under the Profile tab: there is a Logon Script.
In our company there is a batch file for each OU. Where in Active directory do you set the settings so it knows where to look for that particular batch file.

for example if Joe Shmoe has ILOVEU.BAT in his Logon Script that actuall file "ILOVEU.BAT" must physically reside somewhere on a network server nah? Or Does it?

and how does it know where to get it?

thanks in advance for your help..and I hope my question makes sense.

Hello,

On each Domain Controller, there is a folder called SYSVOL, and inside that folder is a folder with your domain name, and inside there, is a scripts folder.

Only Administrators should be placing items inside there.

You should also be able to put the UNC (\\servername\sharename\folder) into that property page, if you need to reference other locations.

And, under Server 2003, the items in the SYSVOL folder will be automatically replicated among the Domain Controllers. No need to setup special replication paths.

Christian

Thanks you cleared up a lot I just threw in my two cents. Kc0arf you an Administrator? Let me know I would like to share some knowledge I always like to talking to Admin's that know Active Directory because there aren't so many that know there stuff.

Thanks Christian,..

Man how much i have forgotten already...See,.. i attained my MCSE NT4.0 some time ago, and started the W2K MCSE and only did 3 of the four core...

Well anyway to make the long story short...i can't believe how much i forgot and how hard i studied, but didh't follow through, b/c i only got a 'help desk' job,... and forgot all i've learnt. Isn't that a shame...But yeah from what you have just replied, it all comes back.. Thank you,

On each Domain Controller, .............

And, under Server 2003, the items in the SYSVOL folder will be automatically replicated among the Domain Controllers. No need to setup special replication paths.

Christian

On each domain controller there is a folder called NETLOGON

All log on scripts are stored here

Hello Guys,

Yes, I am a network administrator, and was certified NT 4.0 Server some time ago. Working to upgrade that certification to Windows 2003.

Feel free to write / post questions and discussion points.

To be honest though, I really prefer Linux.

Christian

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.