I looked at other threads and searched online about this and I have gathered some information about what Error Loading Operating System means but I don't know what to do when it comes to my computer. I have a Dell XPS Gen 5 computer year 2005. I've started to notice that there was some sort of problem when it took a number of boots to get to the welcome screen. When it doesn't go to the welcome screen, it would freeze on either the windows loading screen or a blank black screen. I asked a number of people about it but they didn't know anything about it and it continued for a few days until it became the black screen with "Error Loading Operating System." I looked to see if the BIOS was updated and the one I have on the computer is the only updated version. I'm planning on calling Dell to see if they can help but I also want to know if there is anything else I can do...

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

It should be a problem with your Operating system itself and not a Hardware glitch, Editing the BIOS would not help. which OS are you using?? Try repairing it using the bootable disk that you have. If it doesn't work then i guess reinstalling the OS is the way round...maybe a corrupted file is causing this unexpected rebooting.

hi, Godsp3ed is right it has nothing to the with the BIOS...don't do anything with the BIOS or else you might end up with a dead mobo...

if still can access safe mode try to do system restore... or do as suggested by Godsp3ed ...

hiya it could be one of three things to be honest:

1, something running in your start up
2, a corrupt driver
3, cross linked files
if either of these are the case then unfortunatly it means you will have to format

The fact that it stops at different points suggests one of three things that come immediately to mind and these would tie in with some previous advice in this thread:
1. Could be dirt and stuff accumulating in the PC causing erratic behaviour. Less probable than possible.

2. Could be difficulty reading your hard disk which could be a power problem or the heads are giving out.

3. Could be a transient power problem at the 5v or 12v level affecting either your mobo or the disk drive.

Apart from #1, this sort of thing needs an expert hand to run low level diagnostics.

Error loading operating system is the strongest clue that it can't read the HDD properly or the file it needs is corrupted by one of the described glitches. You would need to repair the duff blocks on the HDD and re-install the operating syste. Above all you would need to satisfy yourself that whatever caused the glitch isn't going to happen again.

Maybe it was a mains spike - so get a UPS to be sure of avoiding this risk.

No quick fix, I'm afraid.

the MBR could be corrupt. If you have the windows xp cd boot to it and go into the recovery console, i think you might need to enter your password if you have one set for windows logon if you dont just press enter and then once you're in you will want to type Fixmbr and press enter. hope this helps

I think that anyone offering FIXMBR advice should also point out the risk to HDD contents. This is what the Microsoft KB article says:

"FIXMBR
fixmbr device name
Use this command to repair the MBR of the boot partition. In the command syntax, device name is an optional device name that specifies the device that requires a new MBR. Use this command if a virus has damaged the MBR and Windows cannot start.

Warning This command can damage your partition tables if a virus is present or if a hardware problem exists. If you use this command, you may create inaccessible partitions. We recommend that you run antivirus software before you use this command.

You can obtain the device name from the output of the map command. If you do not specify a device name, the MBR of the boot device is repaired, for example:
fixmbr \device\harddisk2
If the fixmbr command detects an invalid or non-standard partition table signature, fixmbr command prompts you for permission before it rewrites the MBR. The fixmbr command is supported only on x86-based computers."

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.