I've been trying to remove dumprep.exe from XP/SP3 start up, thinking that doing so might help speed booting a bit. It's a
nonessential application and runs on in processes after everything else is settled for a good 30 seconds or so at 30+% CPU. The problem is that all the methods I've found online for removing it, including the two methods given at MS's site, don't work (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899870); i.e., it keeps returning at the next start up. From what I read, dumprep.exe is for Microsoft's benefit, those send/don't send boxes after program crashes.

I've tried:
- turning off error reporting
- unchecking it in MSConfig
- deleting all versions of it from the registry
- renaming the file in the System32 folder
- deleting all versions of it from all drives
- rebooting and checking Event Viewer immediately - no errors or warnings

Any other ideas? Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

I had a bit of a google and am still not convinced that this is the problem.
In the meantime I'll make a suggestion -
Are you using a Compaq or Dell computer? - Check your power supply unit - is it at least 450Watt?

I'll do a bit more research but I usually blame all this stuff on inadequate PSU output.

I had a bit of a google and am still not convinced that this is the problem.
In the meantime I'll make a suggestion -
Are you using a Compaq or Dell computer? - Check your power supply unit - is it at least 450Watt?

I'll do a bit more research but I usually blame all this stuff on inadequate PSU output.

No, not a Compaq or Dell. PSU is an underrated 450W. What would the PSU have to do with this?

Add to my list, Dr. Watson - no errors

The power supplies power to every pluggable device. The video card alone takes between 130 watts and 250 watts.
You don't get the whole 450 watts in a 450 watt psu you get about 85%.

I'm thinking along the lines that you have a super dooper (technical term) computer that needs more power than what is being provided. This may slow things down. If your graphics card is only 64mb this also slows things down. If your ram is only 256mb, or your cpu is less than 2ghz and with all this your are trying to run Vista? Maybe?
Send your specs and others will join in.
CPU / Video Memory / Ram / PSU 450W /
OS and Windows version.

Minimum system in which dumprep.exe runs:

Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P (new)
Athlon 64 X2 7750 2700 Kuma Black Edition (new)
2x2gb Kingston HyperX DDR2 (1100)
MSI/ATI 4670
Corsair 450VX PSU (new - review rated at 570W)
Seagate 7200.12 1T SATA HDD (new)
NEC 3550 DVD-R/W
XP/SP3

New means a few days in operation
Extreme Power Supply calculator says this system draws ~240W

The power supplies power to every pluggable device. The video card alone takes between 130 watts and 250 watts.
You don't get the whole 450 watts in a 450 watt psu you get about 85%.

I'm thinking along the lines that you have a super dooper (technical term) computer that needs more power than what is being provided. This may slow things down. If your graphics card is only 64mb this also slows things down. If your ram is only 256mb, or your cpu is less than 2ghz and with all this your are trying to run Vista? Maybe?
Send your specs and others will join in.
CPU / Video Memory / Ram / PSU 450W /
OS and Windows version.

Dumprep.exe kicks in when there are software conflicts, which is why I asked about how the PSU could be causing the problem. Your suggestion seemed pretty far off the wall, but I'm always willing to listen, in case there's something new I never would have thought of. In this case my first thought was correct. This being a brand new install, I hadn't gone through the start list on Autoruns carefully yet. Doing that just now, I found what was getting dumprep to run, ATI's Catalyst Control Center, CLIstart.exe. Five restarts without it, no dumprep. That seems to argue for keeping it around.

The PSU should be okay but I'd go a bit higher, say 600 to 700 Watt. You've got a super dooper computer designed for Vista or windows 7 etc... XP does not recognise dual core because XP is designed to run on 32bit and NTFS, not 64-bit.

If you are running NTFS or 32 bit OS then this could be your problem. I know you said software but keep it in mind when other things start to go awry. Nvidia Control Panel drives me nuts.

The PSU should be okay but I'd go a bit higher, say 600 to 700 Watt. You've got a super dooper computer designed for Vista or windows 7 etc... XP does not recognise dual core because XP is designed to run on 32bit and NTFS, not 64-bit.

If you are running NTFS or 32 bit OS then this could be your problem. I know you said software but keep it in mind when other things start to go awry. Nvidia Control Panel drives me nuts.

With my previous board I disabled the Nvidia CP. For me, it's not worth going to 64-bit until the market supports it better and the cost comes down. But needing a new motherboard, it seemed a good time to plan ahead. I wonder if the 32-bit Win 7 implementation will be better in this regard. Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm a vb6 preferred person and VB6 is not supported in Vista 64 bit. However, Microsoft will support VB6 in windows 7 but not in later versions.

I'm having nightmares about dumprep.exe . What calls the exe and if it's not there to be called, what happens then? The option to disable Report "but notify me" must call something to notify you. I'd uncheck that option to notify if you have killed off the dumprep.exe

You've got AMD. It's supposed to better than previous AMD. I hope so. I went through 5 AMD in 4 years. They just get too hot for long periods of computer use. I don't play games except Spider Solitaire (Hi-score 1209). I use my main computer for programming and audio editing. This computer I use for internet only. It's low end, worthless to anyone. The problem with AMD, in the past, is the extra power required for programming testing puts too much exertion on the cpu and mainboard and shorts it out. These days, I just shut down after 2 hours for a coffee break, regardless of which computer I use - Amd. intel. etc...
32bit is not good for anything except win 98. See this site for more info http://www.ntfs.com

I'm having nightmares about dumprep.exe . What calls the exe and if it's not there to be called, what happens then? The option to disable Report "but notify me" must call something to notify you. I'd uncheck that option to notify if you have killed off the dumprep.exe[/url]

I'm not dumping dumprep, since this little episode showed me that it's a signal to check out problems.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.