Hi to whoever read this and hi to someone who helps,

my computer will not start it just loop,eg when you boot it, goes thru the regular start up, then go to the error page that has safe mode,safe mode with networking, last good configuation, windows normal, it doesn't matter which one you pick the computer just restarts.

The computer is a Asus A7N8X WITH 1 GIG OF RAM ....athlon 1900 cpu... 2 MAXTOR HD 7200 ONE 80 ONE 40 GIG .... The graphics card is a sapphire radeon 9200 128mb ddr memory... monitor is samsung syncmaster 226 nw,, 22 inch

running on win xp pro ntfs

i purchased spotmau, and that will not work either

i hope this info helps ... let me know if you need any other information,.

please help i have 10 years of info on the computer that i can't lose

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

calm down, take it to your computer tech tommorow or today if it is daytime over there.

Make back ups next time, I mean memory usb sticks cost nothing now days!!!!

i don't have a computer tech, and i was in the process of backing it uo have 100 gigs of info on it, got about a quarter of it backed up when this happened

"i have 10 years of info on the computer that i can't lose" Oh, yes you can.... but probably not from this problem. Did the error screen list any codes, name any files? too fast to read? You can use the Pause key, hit Enter to continue.
That board has integrated graphics.... so you can unplug your graphics card and use the IGP socket. If you have 2 sticks making up that 1Gig try swapping them out. All this is just guessing without that error code.... it could be your OS that is problematic. Are both drives listed in BIOS?
Do you have a bootable disk such as the Windows XP Pro installation cd? Is there a partition on either hd into which you could install another copy of the OS temporarily [ie one with junk in it, temporary or uninmportant files]?

Member Avatar for b1izzard

Use Automated Recovery Console

hi gerbil
thanks for trying to help it is greatly appreciated

no error code just says windows reboots from a power outage , no files listed , computer just does a regular start up then gets to the page with the safe mode safe mode with networking, last config etc. i tried all of them and they just go back to the start and reboot

example:
click on safe mode , it loads all the files on the screen( dll files, drivers etc)
then goes reboot to the beginning again , i will try to unplug graphics card never tried that yet
the ram is one stick i could try moving it there is 3 slots
the problem is i cant find the right winxp pro i got a new one that is loaded on my new computer, the other one is just lost in the house(have two boys they move everything)
no partitions but two drives i am not sure what is on the d:/ drive

how would i load another windows, switch drives so d:/is master?

here is my bios maybe that will help you

The computer:

Asus A7N8X DELUXE-SOCKET A REV 1006 WITH ONBOARD SOUND[REALTEK ALC650 6CH ITH BUILD IN HP AMPLIFIER,INGRETED APU,SOUNDSTORM/DOLBY(AC-3)ENCODER

1 GIG OF DDR RAM RUNNING AT [133MHZ]

athlon 1900 cpu
MAXTOR HD 80 GIG
MAXTOR HD 40 GIG

ADVANCED BIOS FEATURES

PRIMARY MASTER [MAXTOR 6Y080L0]HD 7200 80 GIG
PRIMARY SLAVE NONE
SECONDARY MASTER[LITE-ON-LTR-5232]
SECONARY SLAVE[JLMS XJ-HD166S]
BASE MEMORY 640K
EXTENDED MEMORY 1047552
TOTAL MEMORY 1048576K
CPU LEVEL 1 CACHE [ENABLED]
CPU LEVEL 2 CASHE[ENABLED]
QUICK POWER ON TEST[ENABLED]
FIRST BOOT DEVICE[CDROM]
SECOND BOOT DEVICE[LS120]
THIRD BOOT DEVICE[HDD-1]
BOOT OTHER DEVICE[ENABLED]
BOOT UP FLOPPY SEEK[ENABLED]
BOOT UP NUMLOCK STATUS [ON]
GATE A20 OPTION [FAST]
TYPEMATIC RATE SETTING[DISABLED]
TYPEMATIC RATE (CHARS/SEC) 6
TYPEMATIC DELAY (MSEC) 250
APIC MODE[ENABLED]
OS/2 ONFOARD MEMORY>64M [DISABLED]

ADVANCED CHIPSET FEATURES

CPU EXTERNAL FREQ(MHZ)[133MHZ]
CPU FREQUENCY MULTIPLE SETTING[AUTO]
CPU FREQUENCY MULTIPLE 11.0X
SYSTEM PERFORMANCE [OPTIMAL]
CPU INTERFACE [OPTIMAL]
MEMORY FREQ[AUTO]
RESULTING FREQENCY AUTO
MEMORY TIMING OPTIMAL
SDRAM ACTIVE PRECHARGE DELAY 6
SDRAM RAS TO CAS DELAY 2
SDRAM RAS PRECHARGE DELAY 2
SDRAM CAS LATENCY 2T
FSB SPREAD SPECTRUM [50%]
AGP SPREAD SPECTRUM[DISABLED]
CPU VCORE SETTING [AUTO]
CPU VCORE 1.650V
GRAPHICS APERTURE SIZE [64MB]
AGP FREQUENCY[AUTO]
SYSTEM BIOS CACHEABLE[DISABLED]
VIDEO RAM CASHEABLE [DISABLED]
DDR REFERENCE VOLTAGE [2.6V]
AGP VDDQ VOLTAGE [1.5V]
AGP 8X SUPPORT [ENABLED]
AGP FAST WRITE CAPABILITY[ENABLED

INTEGRATED PERIPHERALS

PRIMARY VGA BIOS [AGP VGA CARD]
USB CONTROLLERS [V1.1+V2.0]
USB KEYBOARD & LEGARY SUPPORT [DISABLED]
USB LEGACY MOUSE SUPPORT [DISABLED]
ONBOARD AC97 AUDIO CONTROLLER [AUTO]
ONBOARD AC97 MODEM CONTROLLER [DISABLED]
ONBOARD LAN(NVIDIA)) [AUTO]
ONBOARD LAN(3COM) [AUTO]
ONBOARD 1394 DEVICE [AUTO]
FLOPPY DISK ACCESS CONTROLLER [ENABLED]
ONBOARD SERIAL PORT 1 [3F8/IRQ4]
ONBOARD SERIAL PORT 2 [2F8/IRQ3]
VART2 USE AS [COM PORT]
ONBOARD PARALLEL PORT [378/IRQ7]
PARALLEL PORT MODE [ECP=EPP]
ECP DNA SELECT [3]
ONBOARD GAME PORT [201]
ONBOARD MIDI I/O [330]
ONBOARD MIDI IRQ [10]

PNP/PCI CONFIG
RESOURSES CONTROLLED BY [AUTO(ESCD)
PCI/VGA PALLETTE SNOOP [DISABLED]

MB TEMPERATURE 30 C/86 F
CPU TEMPERATUIRE 42 C/ 107 F
VCORE VOLTAGE 1.71V
+3.3V VOTAGE 3.34V
+5V VOLTAGE 4.99V
+12V VOLTAGE 2.54V
CPU FAN SPEED 2070 RPM
CHASSIS FAN SPEED 2596 RPM
POWER FAN SPEED 2360 RPM
Q-FAN CONTROL [ENABLED]
FAN SPEED RATIO [10/15]
SPEED UP/DOWN RESPONSE TIME [4 SEC/8SEC]

The graphics card is a sapphire radeon 9200 128mb ddr memory
52X32X52X CD BURNER
DVD ROM DRIVE
500 GIG EXTERNAL HD DRIVE
monitor is samsung syncmaster 226 nw,, 22 inch

running on WIN XP PRO ntfs

I am going to try the ram and graphic card like you said
if you could explain how to load another os i will do that also

thanks again for you help

"i have 10 years of info on the computer that i can't lose" Oh, yes you can.... but probably not from this problem. Did the error screen list any codes, name any files? too fast to read? You can use the Pause key, hit Enter to continue.
That board has integrated graphics.... so you can unplug your graphics card and use the IGP socket. If you have 2 sticks making up that 1Gig try swapping them out. All this is just guessing without that error code.... it could be your OS that is problematic. Are both drives listed in BIOS?
Do you have a bootable disk such as the Windows XP Pro installation cd? Is there a partition on either hd into which you could install another copy of the OS temporarily [ie one with junk in it, temporary or uninmportant files]?

Use Automated Recovery Console

hi ravi89
that is on the window disk right? i can't find the right disk at the moment. but when i find it will try thanks

First off, if you mostly boot from a hdd then it is just a sensible thing to have that hdd as First Boot Device. That way you won't get false starts from bootable cds forgotten in the drive etc. You have a Superdrive as 2nd boot device...
Drive setup:
Primary Master 80GB hdd
Secondary Master Optical Combo
Secondary Slave Optical ROM
...and a floppy drive.

I think a better way is : First HDD; Second CD; Third LS120 , assuming that you use the superdrive for data only.
Anyway.... looking down the BIOS list:
!!! +12V VOLTAGE 2.54V !!!
And that is why you get this error: "no error code just says windows reboots from a power outage".
Further, you have QFan enabled, but all your fans are at max speed.... at 42degC your CPU fan should be idling, maybe 700rpm. To get that I use Silent mode. Optimal would give the same.
Anyway, your mb will get along without 12V, but not your hdd. New Power Supply will solve your problem, I think? It could be some card pulling it down, but I doubt it.. there would be smoke. 12V supply trying to pump 25 - 30 amps into something that drags the V down to 2 1/2 -> heat and smoke for sure.

For your sys a 350W job would be fine, 400W if not a much greater cost. Corsair are very good, an Anandtech equivalent would be of the same quality but cheaper, CoolerMaster Green are efficient enough, too, and cheaper still. With that CPU the boys won't be nagging for a more powerful video card for gaming.

Hi Gerbil
The only reason I changed the boot order was because I bought Spotmau powersuite disc to try to fix the computer but it didnt work.Anyway I never thought of the power supply usually i change then all the time. But that computer got missed the new 850 I bought I put in my new computer that I am building, will order a new one today for that one thanks. And thanks for the fan advice :). You have given me such awesome advice it is appreciated
Talk soon hopefully not about my broken machine lol

First off, if you mostly boot from a hdd then it is just a sensible thing to have that hdd as First Boot Device. That way you won't get false starts from bootable cds forgotten in the drive etc. You have a Superdrive as 2nd boot device...
Drive setup:
Primary Master 80GB hdd
Secondary Master Optical Combo
Secondary Slave Optical ROM
...and a floppy drive.

I think a better way is : First HDD; Second CD; Third LS120 , assuming that you use the superdrive for data only.
Anyway.... looking down the BIOS list:
!!! +12V VOLTAGE 2.54V !!!
And that is why you get this error: "no error code just says windows reboots from a power outage".
Further, you have QFan enabled, but all your fans are at max speed.... at 42degC your CPU fan should be idling, maybe 700rpm. To get that I use Silent mode. Optimal would give the same.
Anyway, your mb will get along without 12V, but not your hdd. New Power Supply will solve your problem, I think? It could be some card pulling it down, but I doubt it.. there would be smoke. 12V supply trying to pump 25 - 30 amps into something that drags the V down to 2 1/2 -> heat and smoke for sure.

Okay, nicen. The fan speed being so high may be due to some monitoring fault, what with the 12V being out, I just don't know. I do know the fan speed monitor [in the fan itself] can fail and leave the fan running flat out.
850W. Wow. Are you planning on crossfired gaming cards? 850W is a toaster. :)

Hi Gerbil
Will getting there :)
Have a antec 1200 case it just rocks-with twelve drive bays, seven expansion slots,a top Big Boy 200 blue LED cooling fan, two rear blue LED 120mm fans, and three front blue LED 120mm fans, a extra fan can go on the side too, antec 850 power supply, ASUS P5Q3 Deluxe/WiFi , 4 GIGS of DDR3 RAM, PALIT RADEON HD 4870 SONIC DUAL 1GB 775MHZ- HUGE CARD, SEAGATE 7200 1TB HD intel core 2 due E8400 PROCESSOR 3.0 GHZ 6MB CACHE, LG GGC-H20L BLU-RAY HD-DVD 16X8X6, LG LIGHTSCRIBE SUPERMULTI, BIGWATER 760I 2U COOLING SYSTEM-ooops sorry about the caps didn't notice till i finished typing, to lazy to redo it lol put some extra fans in to , ram cooler , 2 cpu little fans , the one on the side. Just need another card to crossfire then i am rocking :) . Having a irq conflict when I try to start it have to work on that, but seems everything is breaking here at the moment and only one of me, against two little breakers :)

Okay, nicen. The fan speed being so high may be due to some monitoring fault, what with the 12V being out, I just don't know. I do know the fan speed monitor [in the fan itself] can fail and leave the fan running flat out.
850W. Wow. Are you planning on crossfired gaming cards? 850W is a toaster. :)

Good Lord, nicen. That lil dark spot in the nightime space photos of the states is down to your power drain, then! i had thought it was a patch of forest.
A 4870! Does that poke out the front of the case much? Give that other sys a lil power supply, too.
I spose the irq conflict comes from the two boys, both wanting to be on at the same time...but seriously, do you get an address with that IRQ conflict msg? If so, use Dev Mgmnt to pinpoint the resource type [it will be under View, ... then Memory]. It could be due to a faulty RAM module... run a memtest.
Do take the time to go outdoors once in a while.

"i have 10 years of info on the computer that i can't lose"

Hope you are not using the HDD that is 10 years old as well.

For PC keep rebooting itself, most of the time is the OS registry error caused by the virus or spyware.

backup data and reinstall the OS probably will work.

Hope this helps!
Bill
Tech manager

HI gerbil;

HaHaHa I am in Canada so that lil dark spot must be from your house. The 4870 rocks .. I love it and it fits in my big-ass case you need to see it. ANTEC 1200 ..so it doesnt stick out but it fits quite tight inside ... it is a big beautiful card :) .I ordered a 500 for the other computer just waiting now for it to come in.

Never got the error my boys saw it. Just finish putting the new one together (for me) haven't worked the kinks out yet. But since the other computer somehow got broken now the boys are on my new one. Which if I don't get back soon will probably be broken too. They don't know how to house clean, the house or the computer , miracle they told me about the irq problem lol But of course I only got the basic info about it ( Mom it said irq something). Will have to look into it soon. No end to problems here :'( but will check the ram thanks

Good Lord, nicen. That lil dark spot in the nightime space photos of the states is down to your power drain, then! i had thought it was a patch of forest.
A 4870! Does that poke out the front of the case much? Give that other sys a lil power supply, too.
I spose the irq conflict comes from the two boys, both wanting to be on at the same time...but seriously, do you get an address with that IRQ conflict msg? If so, use Dev Mgmnt to pinpoint the resource type [it will be under View, ... then Memory]. It could be due to a faulty RAM module... run a memtest.
Do take the time to go outdoors once in a while.

Hi Bill

No I update the HDD pretty regularly, the one in there is maybe two years old. I figured it might be a virus doing this but it the backing up of the data i am having trouble with. Have a new windows disc but that isn't the one loaded on there. Going to put another HDD in load windows on there and hope I can get my info off the other one. Also ordered a new power supply for that machine. Thanks for the help.

"i have 10 years of info on the computer that i can't lose"

Hope you are not using the HDD that is 10 years old as well.

For PC keep rebooting itself, most of the time is the OS registry error caused by the virus or spyware.

backup data and reinstall the OS probably will work.

Hope this helps!
Bill
Tech manager

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.