I'll appreciate it if anyone can help me. I'm in the process of upgrading the RAM on a PcChips M861G Motherboard from (2)x 512Mb DDR 400 to (2)x 1Gb DDR 400. The manual indicates that this is the maximum it can handle, but when i install it ,the system doesn't even pass the post beep and the monitor remains blank. i don't even have the drivers cd either. Oh! the brand of memory before, and the new ones are Markvision.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Need to set the bios setup

Very strange. Are you sure those brand RAM chips are supported by the motherboard? Best to ask the PcChips support team for advice?

Member Avatar for rs_sis

Hi !

1. are those ECC or NON-ECC ? it should be the same like the old one..
2. remove all the memory, start with one by one, start it to test and save the configuration between.
3. if this still doesn't work check the BIOS settings or update the BIOS.
4. otherwise contact the mainboard dealer support AND the markvision support....

Good luck !

Installing Memory Modules
This motherboard accommodates two 184-pin 2.5V DIMM
sockets (Dual Inline Memory Module) for unbuffered DDR
400/333/266 memory modules (Double Data Rate SDRAM),
and maximum 2.0 GB installed memory.

DDR SDRAM is a type of SDRAM that supports data transfers on
both edges of each clock cycle (the rising and falling edges),
effectively doubling the memory chip’s data throughput.
DDR DIMMs can synchronously work with 166 MHz
or 200 MHz memory bus.

DDR SDRAM provides 2.1 GB/s, 2.7 GB/s or 3.2GB/s
data transfer rate when the bus is 133 MHz, 166 MHz or
200 MHz, respectively.

source http://eudownload.ecs.com.tw/dlfilepcc/manual/861G_16A.pdf

Check the same RAM with other system, if still doesnt work then check with your retailor.
Or
Might be your motherboard's RAM slot not working

as suggested by rs_sis make sure that your old DDR has same frequency clock and data transfer rate as it may affects its operation..

how about just try to remove your old DDR and just put in the new one check if it will work normally...

if it works normally..then it could be a compatability problem... :)

Goodluck...

I've tried the memory in another machine and it works flawlessly.
Both the clock and data transfer speeds are the same on the old and new memory. I'll try updating the bios first to see if it helps. If not i'll have to get a new board.

Both the clock and data transfer speeds are the same on the old and new memory. I'll try updating the bios first to see if it helps. If not i'll have to get a new board.

did you try ram 1 gig at a time,as suggested above

Yes, i've tried using 1Gb at a time and it still doesn't work. How do i tell if it's ECC or not? I'm not seeing any markings on it. Also I checked the PcChips website for a bios update, and none of the updates mention anything about fixing any memory problems. I'm not giving up on this as yet though.

It is most likely a support or compatibility issue by the manufacturers of the motherboard. I still suggest speaking to them first.

It is possible that it is the configuration. Setting the BIOS might sort this out but its a long shot.

Worst case scenario would require a new motherboard unfortunately. This just happens unfortunately.

Good luck

Try removing the mains power cable from your pc, the whip the side off and remove the bios battery for about a minute. The bios battery will be a round, silver object with CR2032 printed on it.

Refit the battery before reconnecting the mains power and see if it will boot with the new ram.

Try removing the mains power cable from your pc, the whip the side off and remove the bios battery for about a minute. The bios battery will be a round, silver object with CR2032 printed on it.

Refit the battery before reconnecting the mains power and see if it will boot with the new ram.

Removing the CMOS battery will reset all of your BIOS settings to default and you will lose the time on your computer. This is a good way to do a manual BIOS reset. If the BIOS settings is the problem obviously! There are no capacitors hooked up directly to the battery so discharge should be instant, but waiting a couple minutes doesn't hurt, just in case.

CR2032 is the battery model. That is quite a generic one, but i'm sure there might be some weird motherboards out there that use something else. There is only one flat silver battery on your motherboard though, so it should be easy to spot. It looks like a watch battery - very flat, but about a cm in diameter.

Good luck

this would lead me to believe it is not a ECC issues ,unless other computer was a server or workstation ![my dell workstation take ecc memory ]

I'll appreciate it if anyone can help me. I'm in the process of upgrading the RAM on a PcChips M861G Motherboard from (2)x 512Mb DDR 400 to (2)x 1Gb DDR 400. The manual indicates that this is the maximum it can handle, but when i install it ,the system doesn't even pass the post beep and the monitor remains blank. i don't even have the drivers cd either. Oh! the brand of memory before, and the new ones are Markvision.

I'm experiencing a similar problem with the the blank screen after the post beep... after installing 1GB memory from 128 MB memory. The company sent ECC cards when I ordered non-ECC. Of course, I noticed that AFTER installing. What did you wind up doing with your computer?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.