Hi, my friend has asked me to repair his laptop for him because I'm the most electronically educated friend he knows, but this is just out of my reach... Here's the problem... I start the computer and it powers up normally, then it goes to the boot screen were it says that "windows did not start successfully." I tried all the safe modes (Safe Mode, Safe Mode W/Networking, & Safe Mode W/Command prompt.) I even tried "Last known good configuration (the most recent setting that worked.)" but still nothing! When I select any setting, it goes black, then VERY briefly (less than 2 sec.) the BSOD (blue screen of death) shows up, then the computer automatically restarts, and the process is repeated! :?:
*He doesn't have the recovery disc.*. Please help!

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Try booting with windows original CD, and choose Repair Windows after your windows partition is detected. Note: You must use the same version of Windows that the Laptop has. For example: Windows XP/Vista OEM, Retail, and VL were different.

*He doesn't have the recovery disc.*

alcskid, Please read the original post completely.

imapcndineedhlp, your friend needs to get in touch with the manufacturer of his laptop and demand that they send him and install disk.

Hi Rik, Recovery disc is possible different with the Installation Disc.
Laptop Recovery Disc usually contain ghosted image. While the one that I mean is imapcndineedhlp need to grab Windows Installation disc (OEM version) from friends. I've got so many kind Windows OEM disc (Since I was a system Admin) if you want I can share the disc image somewhere. But I need more detail information about the flavour of windows in your laptop. XP Home or Pro or Vista Home or whatever.

commented: dont be a pirate -7

ask recovery disc from your manufacturer...call their hotline..if it is still under warranty then it should be free... if not it will just cost some few bucks...

it seems there is nothing more to add

Agree "your friend needs to get in touch with the manufacturer"

alcskid, Please read the original post completely.

imapcndineedhlp, your friend needs to get in touch with the manufacturer of his laptop and demand that they send him and install disk.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.