Ok, I have an [amazing] Dell Dimension 4600 from way back in, if I'm not mistaken, 2002.

It was in storage.

I pulled it out.

Cleaned up everything, reformatted, reinstalled all the drivers...got it up and running to the best of its ability. Not too shabby, if I do say so myself. I converted it, basically...into an entertainment hub.

Using mostly just streaming video, and not downloading...everything was working fine as of Saturday (7/12/09) so, Sunday when I went to the same place I always go to stream video...one of the feeds' audio wasn't working.

I downloaded the K-lite codec pack reccommended for fixing audio problems. In the installation it asked that I uninstall DivX and XviD codecs, as the pack had both in it. I said "Why not?" and let it do its thing.

After the uninstalls, it prompted for a restart...but didn't ask for a restart after the install. So, I leave the computer on...watch some tv on it, and go to bed.

When I wake up in the morning, I noticed that my apartment complex shut off my electricity, and so I moved my comp to my parents' house for the week. Upon hooking everything back up on Monday 7/13/09, My computer will not recognize the mouse, the keyboard, or any of the audio jacks in the back.

So, I assumed the audio problem was one of the driver, and tried a reinstall. Only for the computer to tell me it could not find my audio card.

So, I did what anyone would do and attempted a System Restore...back to this saturday when all was hunky dory. No such luck. My System Restore won't restore back to any of it's Restore points. Not one.

So, the Audio is gone. The two ports for the Keyboard and Mouse (directly above the Audio Card/3.5mm jacks) don't work...and the restore is not cooperating.

Also, Windows start up takes longer than usual.

Everything else, appears in the same state, however.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I may be that the unexpected power loss caused a voltage "spike".
The fact that the keyboard and mouse connections are not functional would add some support to that theory.
Try connecting keyboard and mouse via USB.
As for audio- is it on board or is a sound card installed?

I may be that the unexpected power loss caused a voltage "spike".
The fact that the keyboard and mouse connections are not functional would add some support to that theory.
Try connecting keyboard and mouse via USB.
As for audio- is it on board or is a sound card installed?

USB ports seem to be in working order. At least, the front two.

I thought that since the System Restore was refusing to restore...there might be a corrupted file, so I ran AVG. Twice. It seems pretty confident that there are no infections/viruses.

Which doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

The audio is on-board, as far as I can tell.
But if it's on-board would it still be referred to as a "card" in an error dialog box?

So, for recaps:
Mouse and Keyboad ports aren't working
USB ports are
When I tried to reinstall my audio driver, it couldn't "find" my audio card.
System Restore won't restore.
Still have no audio.
AVG claims no viruses.

...am I going to have to reformat? Because reformatting has gotten to be very old and tiresome.

Have you tried using USB mouse and Keyboard?
If the sound is on board then the sockets probably be on middle left hand side. If it is a card the they will be on one of the horizontal slots
lower down.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.