What is the best way to totally delete your browsing history? deleting it completely from your computer?

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

That will depend on what you are browsing with!!

internet explorer 7 has the delete files tab deleting all temporary files such as google searches etc.

Rarely strips everything though. Best to follow up by opening the "Temporary Internet Files" folder and manually clear out if after a FULL clearance.

Different measures of course for other browsers, but that's where you need to advise what browser you are actually using.

Have found to that with Firefox (esp 3.5) can very selectively remove browsing history. Also, because FF's browser history is locked away in it's own file, is a little harder (still not impossible, true) for others to go peaking in on.

Yes as kaninelupus just said, Get Firefox. Its the best way to do it and set your options up to delete all on browsers close.

The firefox before this new version even had a way to set it up the same and and select which you wanted to deleted, temp files, cookies, saved forms, passwords, etc etc.. ad then a pop up would / will come up when you close to ask you to verify it so you can delete them each time it closes (which you can pre set) that way they are already checked marked when you close the browser and just have to click. Delete.

The new version is the same way, but can pre set but doesn't have the pop up now. It just does it automatically.

Which i kinda dont like, cause sometimes i like to choose not to delete them at the close of the browser and could do it with the older version with the pop up. Now can not choose that. Have to delete it each time as you don't have that final question pop up to verify you want to.

Also Internet explorer also has something like that now where you can pre set it, but you have to go to tool >> internet option >> browser history section on first tab >> delete >> then check mark them >> then delete..

You can also actually set it to delete on close also but only the temp files.

Go to internet options >> advanced tab >> then about 3/4 way down. You will see where it says, "Delete temporary internet files on browsers close" Check mark that.

All ways just said is real easy. Plus the lightest weight way of doing things of this manor, with out a program you have to run each time.

:)

Yes as kaninelupus just said, Get Firefox. Its the best way to do it and set your options up to delete all on browsers close.

The firefox before this new version even had a way to set it up the same and and select which you wanted to deleted, temp files, cookies, saved forms, passwords, etc etc.. ad then a pop up would / will come up when you close to ask you to verify it so you can delete them each time it closes (which you can pre set) that way they are already checked marked when you close the browser and just have to click. Delete.

The new version is the same way, but can pre set but doesn't have the pop up now. It just does it automatically.

Which i kinda dont like, cause sometimes i like to choose not to delete them at the close of the browser and could do it with the older version with the pop up. Now can not choose that. Have to delete it each time as you don't have that final question pop up to verify you want to.

Also Internet explorer also has something like that now where you can pre set it, but you have to go to tool >> internet option >> browser history section on first tab >> delete >> then check mark them >> then delete..

You can also actually set it to delete on close also but only the temp files.

Go to internet options >> advanced tab >> then about 3/4 way down. You will see where it says, "Delete temporary internet files on browsers close" Check mark that.

All ways just said is real easy. Plus the lightest weight way of doing things of this manor, with out a program you have to run each time.

:)

It can selectively, just an extra push of the button. Also, hit Ctrl + H to bring up the History sidebar, and use search to find those offending History "moments"... simply select and delete them. FF3.1 used to crash on occasion doing this, but 3.5 handles just fine :)

I suppose you've been visiting a few 'dodgy' sites. download crap cleaner. your better off using this program as it deletes everything. your browsing history is not fully deleted even if you erase it from the internet explorer. your system still stores the browsing history in log files. crap cleaner deletes everything including the log files.

It can selectively, just an extra push of the button. Also, hit Ctrl + H to bring up the History sidebar, and use search to find those offending History "moments"... simply select and delete them. FF3.1 used to crash on occasion doing this, but 3.5 handles just fine :)

<3 FF

yup

use firefox 3.5, ie8 or chrome. firefox has private browsing option, ie8 has inprivate browsing and chrome has something like stealth mode. thay all do the same, don't store any of your tracks, best way is not creating a browser history i think :)

Only works if it hasn't been disabled (either on the domain, such we do with our student-access machine's), or locally disabled.

Does help to know how to do so manually :)

There has been no word from the OP since his first post.

use firefox 3.5, ie8 or chrome. firefox has private browsing option, ie8 has inprivate browsing and chrome has something like stealth mode. thay all do the same, don't store any of your tracks, best way is not creating a browser history i think :)

IE8 has PB also... Its a new feature. But even if. A lot of sites do not and will not show right nor be able to log in as private browsing will not except cookies and most sites these days you have to allow them [at least if you are using it as a form, or a log in.]

There has been no word from the OP since his first post.

LOL.. I noticed that too.. :-O

If you download IE 8 you can take advantage of its InPrivate browsing mode like BSkiLLs mentioned. InPrivate Browsing in Internet Explorer 8 helps prevent your browsing history, temporary Internet files, form data, cookies, and usernames and passwords from being retained by the browser, leaving no evidence of your browsing or search history. You can activate it by clicking the Safety button in the browser's top-right corner (the icon that looks like a shield) or by opening a new tab and clicking 'Browse with InPrivate'. If you want to download IE 8 to take advantage of InPrivate browsing, get it from http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/thank-you.aspx

- Jake

MSFT Internet Explorer Outreach Team

I will recommend using CCleaner to completely deletes all your browsing history, cache, junk files and many more. IE cleaner is not very good because some files still there.
This program is freeware but works very good and it's also small size but very useful for your PC.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.