Hi there,

Just a quicky.....I am trying to do a fresh install of WinXp Corp. The disc is at auto run and when i insert the disc in my comp, it starts straight away.

But, when i try to install from a complete reboot the disc is by-passed. I have updated my bios and set the cd drive to be the first in the boot options list but it doesnt recognise the disc.

If i insert a win2000 Pro disc it is recognised at boot up.

For the moment this has ment i have had to do a clean install of Win2000 Pro and then upgrade staright away to Xp Corp......but this is a long drawn out process so can anyone help or advise as to the problem with the disc.
Thanks Guys.[/B]

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

You need to watch the screen during bootup and press a key when prompted to boot from CD.

It doesnt give that option when i load the xp disc.....it does when i put in my Win2kPro disc.

It just jumps staright to the standard XP boot screen.

Do you mean you already have XP loaded? If so, why are you trying to install another version?

By the way, that 'Press a key...' message is a BIOS one. The different CD should make no difference. Check the boot order settings in BIOS setup. Disable other boot options if necessary. The message will definitely be there but your BIOS setup configuration may be causing it to be bypassed.

OK....i had win2k pro.....decided to upgrade to xp pro corp :!:

But then decided to do a fresh install as it was about time i cleaned my comp.

So, i insert the xp disc, but it wont read it on boot.....but when i insert my win2kpro disc it will read it on boot and gives the me instruction 'to press any key'

But, it will not do this with the xp disc.

I now have a clean comp, but had to install the win2k first then upgrade to the xp pro corp :!:

I have adjusted all the bios setting etc but it still refuses to read the xp disc on boot up, even though the disc is 'auto setup' runs as an 'auto setup' disc when inserted directly onto my desktop.

Cheers :eek:

Then I can oly assume that you've installed a poorly copied illicit instance of XP Pro corporate edition, which is not actually a bootable CD. Autorun is a different thing altogether to Bootable. A genuine Windows XP Corporate is definitely bootable.

Please don't ask here for assistance with illegally obtained software.

Catwazle i like the terminolagy lol poorly copied illicit instance of XP Pro corporate edition----- in other words copied cd lol

have you tried tappingh is it f8 or f10 when it is booting so then you select number for the disc

sorry if i have this wrong im only a newbie or maybe if it is a iso image to burn it at a lower speed as files may be currupted like on a linux iso image

Epsos

Thanks lol......dont think i need ethical lessons on aquirying my software, i ask for advise on a non booting disc......not where to shop lol.

Cheers :p

......dont think i need ethical lessons on aquirying my software, i ask for advise on a non booting disc.

Actually I think he answered you question as to why it wasn't bootable, not lableing you as unethincal, just pointing out why it not working..... :cheesy:

Copied cds from microsoft, in my experience dont like to boot.

you can try this:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=83F53BE9-28FA-40E8-8EC2-631504EF5E26

is the link for: Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 1 Utility: Setup Disks for Floppy Boot Install

for computers that dont support bootbale cdoms.
I have never used it, but should work.
try that. let me know if it works....

Arrrr well, for the minute i will just have to upgrade when i do a fresh install of win2kpro.....i suppose i carnt complain really.

Thanks everyone.

i had the same fault and my copy as far as i know is legitimate. mine is missing the iso image.:cool:

Thanks lol......dont think i need ethical lessons on aquirying my software, i ask for advise on a non booting disc......not where to shop lol.

Nothing to do with ethical lessons, simply to do with forum rules. If the Windows CD is legitimate then we can offer assistance. If it is pirated then forum rules forbid assistance being given.

my copy as far as i know is legitimate.

JANINE, it's either a genuine Microsoft Windows CD or it's not. Any copied Windows CD is illicit. No ifs or buts about it.

JANINE, it's either a genuine Microsoft Windows CD or it's not. Any copied Windows CD is illicit. No ifs or buts about it.

i know but im not sure where it is. its been moved from where i put it thats all i do know. Any copied CD is illicit, not just a software disc. By copying something without the owners permission a person is in breach of copyright laws.

i dont copy cds anyway and i dont intentionally mean to acquire them. if on the other hand somebody is fantastic at piracy then it can be very difficult to tell the difference.

i think we might be sort of edging off the topic here anyway. this is about install problems. i know in a way its all inter related but....:)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.