Just installed xp home. Every day my pc boots up (when powered off) and goes to login page (this occurs at the same time daily). I have disabled all bios start up features. It appears that its trying to send an at command? this does not happen when i use my old 98 drive. Auto updates is desabledand some tasks (messenger, remote registry...)
I have the latest service pack and all updates installed to date.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

yeah thats not your pc its your house, you problay have a polterguiest living there thats messing with you, umm garlic and a cross should fix the problem, but if it doesn't just unplug your pc for the power

. It appears that its trying to send an at command? .

What is an at command .!!And how do you know its trying send one !1never heard of a computer that could boot when shut down !

What is an at command .!!And how do you know its trying send one !1never heard of a computer that could boot when shut down !

An AT command is used to do a wake up to the modem to get its attention.
I reviewed the security and system logs in the event viewer.
I know this start up thing is very weard.

does your bios have any time managent tools?

And what kind of modem at you using that requires you to type AT commands directly too, for it to wake up? That is like the old days of Windows 3.11 or even older. Commodore 64 Days.

Never ran across a modem in the last 5 years that needs
to be "awakened".

How do you know it is trying to send an AT command? Tried removing the modem?

Have you installed XP Service Pack?

That is like the old days of Windows 3.11 or even older. Commodore 64 Days.

Hhaahahahaha.....that was good!!!! commodore..............now thats old school like WANG

Faranth: All my bios startup managment tools are disabled.

Paladine: Using US Robotics. An AT command is the standard wake up to all modems. The modem is not the problem works fine with win98. All microsoft updates are current. By reviewing the "Event viewer" you can see the history of what is happening on your pc.

Just installed xp home. Every day my pc boots up (when powered off) and goes to login page (this occurs at the same time daily). I have disabled all bios start up features. It appears that its trying to send an at command? this does not happen when i use my old 98 drive. Auto updates is desabledand some tasks (messenger, remote registry...)
I have the latest service pack and all updates installed to date.

It has to be in the BIOS. Think about it; if the unit is turned off, there is no OS to send an "ON" signal to the hardware, only a timed-turn-on "alarm clock" mode in the BIOS.

Try resetting the BIOS using the CMOS-reset jumper and reprogram it.

I installed the Bios upgrade and still had same problem.
I reset the bios to defaults and problem went away.
Sooo flash was currupt and it didn't show that daily turn was activated.
Thanks all.

a reset of bios default/save changes is reccomended on the first boot after a flash !

i dont see any way SOFTWARE on the harddrive is rebooting or starting your computer not with out it already being powered up

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.