Just wanted to have an idea what people prefer for their systems. Whether they leave their systems running all the time or they want to turn it off using several ways. Please select whatever you prefer to do most of the time.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

i have only one setting , that's to turn off monitor after 10 min, then before i go to bet i turn off computer,done this for yrs

The poll is actually to restrictive for me - different machines get different treatment. Office PC is left locked when I'm not around. Main home machine is on 24/7. Laptops I hibernate when not in use. A few other desktops around the house get hibernated till needed.

What is this "shutdown" of which you speak? ;)

I shut down every time I'm not using the computer.

i don't understand leaving a computer left on when not in use ,whats the point,i been turning mine off since 1996,different ones of course

Locking the system is best since it allows you to resume in almost no time when you come back after a short break.

I thought that letting the PC shut itself down after an hour was a good idea until I had the problem of downloads getting cut in half. Also, some scans take a long time and updates who find a PC that is shut down won't download nor install.
So my monitor goes blank after 20 minutes, and I shut down the PC myself when I know there is nothing pending.

I prefer sleep because I always have a lot of things open and I don't have enough patience to wait until the computer hibernates. It never took more than 10-15 seconds to go to sleep mode or return and sometimes it takes less than 5. Power management is like this: display is off after 10 minutes, suspend to RAM after 20.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.