I have a problem with IE 8 on another computer. When I try to connect I get the cannot display page. But when I check the work offline option my homepage will come up but nothing else. Any ideas?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

the off line home page is being displayed from your memory, can you connect to internet with another browser

It could also be that either IE is corrupted with a virus, your firewall was attacked and shut down all connections,or your modem went into self defense mode.An external modem can be rebooted by unplugging for 20 seconds and then opening your internet connection property window and the TCP properties window and then clicking OK and OK again.
Another possibility is a corrupted 'hosts' file found in Windows/System32/Web usually.
You can empty it and then replace it with a downloaded version from Karen Kenworthy or if you have SpybotSearchAndDestroy you can let it add host entries.

Just remembered: the "AboutPage" malware can cause IE not to show web pages.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.