Hey guys 'n' girls my Aunt has a problemo with her computer. Its XP. It came up with this error:

/windows/system32/system could not be found or is corrupt and then windows won't load up.

She has reformated her hard drive, re-installed windows and then after a month or so it will do it again for no reason (its happened 3 times). Any ideas on whats going on?

Cheers!

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Sounds like her drive has some bad sectors. Restart the machine in Recovery Console and run "chkdsk /r".

MrScruff,

Yes, and it should be an easy fix. Windows cannot find all the necessary files for Windows to start properly. You'll need to replace them with the Windows CD. Following, are directions on how to enter the Windows recovery console provided by ComputerHope.com

First, to get into the Microsoft Windows recovery console you must have a Microsoft Windows CD, if your computer came with another restore or recovery cd it's possible the below steps my not apply to your CD. Place the Windows CD in your computer and boot from the CD.

* To repair a Windows XP installation using recovery console, press R.

After getting to the Microsoft Windows recovery console you will need to select the Windows installation you wish to log onto. Therefore press 1 if you wish to edit the primary Windows installation.

After selecting the installation you will be prompted for the administrator password, enter the password exactly as you would in Windows. If you do not know the Windows administrator password you cannot enter the recovery mode.

Finally after you have entered the password you will be at a MS-DOS prompt similar to the MS-DOS shell window you can get through Windows. However, you will also have access to many additional commands not found in standard MS-DOS mode.

Once you reach the prompt, please type: sfc /scannow. Once finished, remove the Windows CD and then reboot the machine. Compute as usual.

J_

[EDIT]chrisbliss18 has a good point. If the problem is reoccurring, then perhaps you have a damaged hard drive. Along with chrisbliss18's recommendation of chkdsk /r, I would also advise running chkdsk /f.

Hello everyone, I work for a company that has a lot of laptop and I am part of the technical support team. This missing or corrupted file (\windows\system32\config\system) has been happening on many laptops. Does anyone know why it happens? I think it may have something to do with avg or pest patrol but I am not sure.

thanks

These kinda problems usually are fixed after a fresh install of windows ... but your problem persists .. so I suspect some pest or virus doing the job for you ... so scan all you hard drive for viruses ....

I'm having the same issues, BUT...

After I type :
"copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system"
it says:
"The system cannot find the file specified."

Please help.

stupidfly, did you try any of the offered suggestions?

Nobody suggested copying the file, and if the system can't find it, find a different means to replace the file, such as "sfc /scannow".

stupidfly, did you try any of the offered suggestions?

Nobody suggested copying the file, and if the system can't find it, find a different means to replace the file, such as "sfc /scannow".

Yes I have. It told me "sfc /scannow" wasn't an acceptable command.

Are you running Windows XP?

I tried doing what Microsoft says to do (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545) last night and it all seemed to work till I got to "copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system". So I tried doing it today... and now when I try to do "md tmp" it tells me "A directory or file with the name tmp already exists." So I assumed that I created that directory last night so I tried moving onto the next prompt, but to no avail: "The system cannot find the file specified."

I have no idea what is going on.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.