We are currently running server 2000 which has active directory,dns & dhcp running, we are planning to deploy a new server on 2008 platform. Can i be able to migrate those roles to the new server if not any ideas on the most effective way to go about it.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

2008 or 2008 R2?
What OS are the clients?

You can do the transition in the usual fashion (i.e. set up the new one as a BDC then promote it, and increase the functional level) , its well documented for 2003-2008, so the same *should* work.

This may be of some help? : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755199%28WS.10%29.aspx#BKMK_Server_roles

You just cant do an "in place" upgrade, but its a whole new server so thats not an issue.

Thanks man i had not done my research well the old server happened to be windows nt not 2k anyway i have resolved to create a new active directory since i have around 30 machines and similar number of users it should not be that hard thanks anyway

Yeah Windows NT4 is virtually impossible to transition from, as the "Old-style" NT domains are not the same as an Active Directory domain e.g. they use WINS instead of DNS...

I think there is an AD migration tool somewhere on the MS site for it though (sp6 resource kit?)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.