guys i bought a new notebook HP probook 4430s which is loaded with free DOS.
but now i want to install win XP on my notebook which is not going in right way.
i inserted XP SP2 bootable CD in my notebook after loading all files instead of showing format option my lappi shows blue screen showing the following message:

A problem has been detected and windos has been Shut Down to prevent your comp......

Check for viruses on you computer. remove any newly installed hard drive or hard drive controllers. check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.

run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and than restart your computer.

Technical information:
*** STOP:0x0000007B (0xF78D2524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000. 0x00000000)

when i run CHKDSK in dos it shows:
FAT32 not currently supported.

plzzz help me this is my first ever lappi n im scared.
is it hard drive problem??
but when i worked on free dos it was perfectly fine i can made directories and perform all basic function.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

try using some sort of fdisk tool to completely remove the free dos partition. i suspect it came preinstalled with a different file format therefore the windows xp install disk cannot read it. once you completely remove of the partitions then try your xp install again.

Basically what swifttech said. You need to remove the existing partitions so XP can create an NTFS file system on a new partition. You probably have the option to do that when you start the XP installation disc - don't remember for sure because I haven't installed it for at least 5 or 6 years on any of my systems. On my personal systems, I only run Linux, and my work system runs Windows 7 Enterprise.

yes to above but also use a partion type disk manager to both remove the partition, and then format the disk with FAT 32 and then set the primary partition to be the boot partition. Then you can insert the xp disk. (the xp disk will do the above if there is a fat 32 but not otherwise I think.)
M

my suggestion is to boot the xp cd againg and when you get to options don't choose install choose deleted partition ,then you will be prompted to create a new partition do so,then choose format ,and i suggest ntfs ,not fat32
after hitting f8 on the winxp install you will see below scree ,

Dear CJ
I only chose fat 32 so that dos could respond
happy new year

M

Yeah, well you can use FAT32 with XP, but not as the system/boot file system.

thanks to all of you for valuable suggestion finally i got it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.