How to hide folder in windows 7 operating system...

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

In Windows Explorer right-click on the folder, select Properties from the drop-down menu, then check the Hidden checkbox. It's not possible to hide them from anyone with Admin rights.

Do you know what you will do now right click on the folder, click on properties and then click on the hidden box. So that you are the only person who knows about the folder, but u still need to access it, so write down the folder name or address, and then type it into your address bar. Also click the link to get more answer ok. Good luck
http://www.techyv.com/tips/how-hide-your-valuable-contents-others-windows-7

Actually, just to clarify, the hidden attribute has no security features. Anyone that has access to the system can display hidden files. If you are interested in securing files and folders, make sure that the drive is formatted as NTFS and assign the appropriate security permissions.

Hello,

Are you just after "hiding" files or do you wish to edit sharing of files. You can share files with other users on the computer/network, you can edit this by also right-clicking and select share with nobody, homegroup, specfic users etc...

Otherwise the previous posts should cover the basics of hiding a file from view. Hidden files/folders can always be displayed again by altering folder options to show hidden files, should someone be searching for them, the file doesnt "dissapear" completely.

• Let us know how it goes

Encrypt them. Or place them in the Recycle Bin. No-one ever looks in there. And if they cannot see Protected Op Sys files, they won't see them if they do.
But an Admin's search finds everything.

Or place them in the Recycle Bin

Horrible suggestion, empty the recycle bin and they will be deleted and forever lost.

Anyone that has access to the system can display hidden files

Not true -- you need admin privledges to display them. Log in as Guest then attempt to change a folder's properties to hidden, you have to enter the Admin's password.

I did not consider the Guest account. In any case, I have experience with Enterpise networks. The Guest account should be (and is disabled by default) on Windows 7. I am not familiar with the Home versions.

Several people often share the same computer at home, each person has his/her own login account, parents usually have Admin permissions, while children do not. The same is true with public computers in places like libraries, hotels, etc.

"Horrible suggestion, empty the recycle bin and they will be deleted and forever lost."
So not true. If you place it in the Recycle Bin, ie copy or move it there, then it is invisible if you open the recycle bin, and cannot be deleted by emptying the bin. You need admin permissions and special folder permissions to place it, and then to see, search or use/delete it.
Try it. An don jus drag it into the desktop icon.... use RECYCLER or $RECYCLE.BIN. No-one looks in those spots. Ever. They open the bin...

I guess they will now...
Sigh....
Ah well. I wuz never gunna rule the world with just that trick.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.