i have windows 95 on a computer and it had aol on it when it was given to me but when i try to connect it say aol can not detect dial tone but the modem makes a dialing sound what could be wrong:confused:

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

if you plug a phone into that socket do you get a dial tone?

if this works its either your computer or your cable.

if you use another cable (if you have a spare) between your modem and phone socket does it work?

if it does its your cable at fault

if you just dial with your computer ( double click My Computer, double click the new folder called Dial-Up Networking, double click on Make New Connection ) does it work?

if it doesn't i dunno whats wrong. i doubt you'll get this far

i have windows 95 on a computer and it had aol on it when it was given to me but when i try to connect it say aol can not detect dial tone but the modem makes a dialing sound what could be wrong:confused:

make sure that the aol is an active account ,if the line is coming fron phone make sure the phone line is plugged into the phone side of the mdem and not the wall side if the lien is coming from the wall make sure it plugged into the wall side ..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.