Hello,

I have my desktop computer set up with Apache, PHP and MySQL as a basic web server. I have internet through Comcast with a static IP so my domain name, http://www.customvbhacks.com, simply has A records that point to my IP.

All of the above works fine, the domain will take you to the server as intended and it runs as it all should. However, I have no idea what I need to do to get mail capabilities set up for my server. When I originally purchased my domain, I had a hosting plan with a company and I didn't have to worry about the technical details of the mail. Now that I'm using my own computer as a server, though, I can't figure out what I need to do to enable sending and receiving of mail for my domain.

I have the SMTP service installed from the ISS stuff in Windows XP, but nothing I'm seeing in the configuration for it seems to help me much with how to configure my domain to send or receive mail. My domain is on Yahoo Domains, and I have the Yahoo MX servers specified for the time being since I don't know what I'm doing elsewise. I haven't tried placing my IP as an MX entry, but I have the feeling there's more to it than that.

Basically, what I'm asking is... how can I set up a service on my local computer to handle the sending and receiving of mail to the customvbhacks.com domain? What would I need to configure, both on my computer and for my MX records? I'm totally lost as setting up a mail server is nothing I've had to do before. Any help you could give me would be appreciated.

Thanks!

You need an SMTP Server and POP3 Server to run a mail server Service.Once you configured the same add an MX entry in the DNS that will be adle to find the mailserver.

Regards,
Bits
India

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.