When I start windows in regular or safe mode I get "explorer has caused and invalid page error in module browseui.dll", and that's as far as it goes. I've re-installed windows and got to the point where it was basically working but then all of the sudden it goes back. I've tried 8 times (not exaggerating) and I just can't get past that one point. I would just reformat but I've got several professional files on there that I really need to put onto disk. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
If all else fails, can I take my harddrive to someone to access and copy the files? I want to buy a new one anyway, my work files are the only thing dragging this on....
Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

When I start windows in regular or safe mode I get "explorer has caused and invalid page error in module browseui.dll", and that's as far as it goes. I've re-installed windows and got to the point where it was basically working but then all of the sudden it goes back. I've tried 8 times (not exaggerating) and I just can't get past that one point. I would just reformat but I've got several professional files on there that I really need to put onto disk. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
If all else fails, can I take my harddrive to someone to access and copy the files? I want to buy a new one anyway, my work files are the only thing dragging this on....
Thanks

My advice would be to get hold of a knoppix cd, obviously as your computer is in a state you may need a friend with broadband to download and burn it.

You can then boot the OS without affecting your windows install, Knoppix then mounts the windows drive and puts the shortcut on your desktop - this will allow you to salvage your important files (put them on a usb drive or save them in your webmail account or something).

I don't know how much RAM you have, Knoppix may be a big sluggish with less than 128mb (but it should still work).

Thanks! I'll try to get it here at work. So it will bypass the issues and help load windows or just do it out of dos? (Not sure I get it..)

It actually boots linux from the CD. It won't touch your Windows install but will simply mount your hard drive as a desktop icon. From there you just need to navigate to my documents (or wherever you store your stuff) and copy it somewhere safe for the time being. Once you've got your important things off you're probably best formatting the machine.

If you work in a company with an IT dept they'll already have a copy of knoppix around - most people I know do

It looks like this: http://www.linuxsoft.cz/img2/gamesknoppix/4.0.2/m05.png

You put Knoppix on a CD, and it becomes "bootable", but it's a version of unix, and I'm not so sure that it's as user friendly as PTY suggests.... I suppose the right distro is.... anyway, you put the CD in, turn off the computer, then turn the computer on (with the CD in the drive) and boot to the CD.

Someone at work said I could take out my drive, put in an extra one that I have - set up as master, re-attach the buggered one as a slave and then access it like a storage drive. Does this sound like something that I could do without totally screwing it up?
Thanks!

Someone at work said I could take out my drive, put in an extra one that I have - set up as master, re-attach the buggered one as a slave and then access it like a storage drive. Does this sound like something that I could do without totally screwing it up?
Thanks!

that will work if the extra one you have has windows 98 installed or you will have to install windows on it ,then copy file from buggered one to the extra one for safe keeping ,the knoppix way works with the right righ know how and a usb thumb drive or a good hdd to copy file to.
The easiest thing to do is remove your drive, set it as slave,and install it in a friends computer or one at work and remove you files /data for safe keeping

I think that's what I'll try, it's a little less scary! Thank you all very much for your advice!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.