Hello,newbie here.I can't seem to open IE unless I use a browser shell(4C vision) on top of it. I receive the msg." IE is not a valid Win32 application".I sometimes get this with other programs also.
My sys. is a Pent.3/700 mhz.,64mb.My browser is IE6,Win.98.
Also,is there a browser I could use that is self contained and doesn't need IE or Netscape to access the web? I recently installed Opera,OffByOne and 4C Vision to try. I want to uninstall IE and it's plugins completely.
Appreciate the help.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Edit:Posted about the same time ,good Morning Mad-dog
Give this one atry ,one of the best alternatives out there !
http://www.mozilla.org

and of course the broswer version only of mozilla FireFox

Yeah ,when I use it, I use Firefox.

Thanks people! I was planning on trying out Mozilla and K-Melon also.I actually would still like to know though what the " not a valid Win32 app." means, and is Mozilla/Opera self contained browsers without Net/IE needed to run them. I really wanna dump IE as it's slow n annoys the hell outta me .I'm not very pc educated yet,as I've had this pc for a year. Thanks a bunch man!

Mozilla, Netscape, FireFox, Opera, etc. are all stand alone, fully functioning browser; they have no interaction or dependence on IE. This is generally considered a Good Thing- those browser are not an integral part of the OS (IE is), so they present less of security risk in terms of viruses, spyware, and the like.

The error message you're getting could simply be due to a corruption of IE, or perhaps the result of a malicious program that got into your system. Under your "Start" menu, try typing "iexplore" (omit the quotes) in the "Run..." dialog box- does IE start that way?

DMR: Thanks I really apprecite it! As for your question, no IE wont open in the run tab. It says "iexplorer is not a valid Win32 app" again. But since you've answered my question, I'm going to remove it completely.I hate IE as it takes up to a minute at times to load pages, and I prefer a lighter browser on my resources.
I clicked on your hijack this link but could not use the back button to come to this page. Is this an Opera bug?
Thanks to you n everyone else for helping out this hippy! I shoulda got online years ago...the nets a trip. Cya

...no IE wont open in the run tab. It says "iexplorer is not a valid Win32 app" again.

OK, regardless of how it got that way, she's corruptiod. Since you're going to migrate away from IE anyway, you might not bother pursuing that one.

I clicked on your hijack this link but could not use the back button to come to this page. Is this an Opera bug?

It may have just opened the link in a new window instead; that behaviour can probably be changed in your browser's preferences. I can't remember if/where you can do that in Opera, not having used Opera in a while.

Thanks to you n everyone else for helping out this hippy! I shoulda got online years ago...the nets a trip. Cya

Extremely trippy. It's weird- surfing can get almost meditational or mystical sometimes if you do it right. I've had loooong nights online where I swear I actually began to sense the intangible pulse of everything that was going on out there. Kind of like I grasped a thread of the web and could feel its vibrations.
... Welll- until I ran into this, of course:

http://www.robrob8.com/news/last_page.htm

:mrgreen:

I had a kick out of the end of the web page.I undeleted IE n everythings all good now.Once again thanks man to alla ya. Cya

Glad you enjoyed the link!
Good luck, and may you remain uninfested! :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.