Six months ago I purchased a computer from a friend of a friend. It cost $600 and came installed with Linux, Windows XP Proffesional, Macromedia Flash, Adobe Photoshop CS, and Oblivion. The hardware on it was horrible, but I figured I was saving money on all the software. I eventually refurbished all the hardware except for the hard drive.

A while ago, I realized windows update wasn't working and after a call to the microsoft tech support, learned that the product key code didn't register as valid. So now I can't upgrade my internet explorer, media player won't work, and all the other software that he gave me is now asking for product codes.

So now I've had to order windows media center from microsoft. When I confronted the seller of my computer, he refused to give me the money to purchase the authentice software and only offered me cd's to reinstall the pirated software. His excuse was "buyer beware" and that he had never stated it was legal software to begin with.

Can anyone tell me how I can get this guy for ripping me off and handing out and producing illegal copies of software? I'm an advocate against pirating and downloading, so I really want to stick it to him.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

snitch on him to the copyriht authaurity. ages ago you could trade in your pirated copy to MS you get a rebaate on the full (legal) version but i dont know if that still happens as there was a lot of abuse

everything depends on several things:
1. did you get any documents stating the fact that he sold you any software?
2. is the software pirated, or just time limited demos?
3. do you want to go into all that leagl crap?

Sadly, I never negotiated a written terms of agreement or received any receipts. The only proof that I have is that the OS and programs are registered in his name and company.

The programs are saying that the registered product keys are no longer valid, and the tech support guys confirmed it. There was nothing on them about my time has expired to try out the products.

I'm pretty resolute about going through the legal crap. I just don't know how to get this process started.

you can edit the registry and easily change the registration info for windows. so whatever it says there is no good. it's your word against his, and you're the one who'll have to come up with solid proof. especially if what he installed for you were time limited demo versions - he was in his right to do so.

I can't stress enough to unsure buyers to always make sure that you get an invoice for any software/hardware you purchase or get installed. Even if you know the person, you should always get an invoice. This is what happens when you don't.

You my friend, have unfortunately learnt the hard way.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.