Most webpages wont load on my computer. It was fine last night and no settings have been manually changed but just overnight its stopped working. It comes up with "page cannot be displayed". it's not only the webpages either though. I haven't been able to connect to World of Warcraft today either and I was playing it last night as well. What can I do to fix it?

I only have dial up but this is the first time that this has happened. I've tried re-connecting and restarting as well as running a couple of virus scanning programmes but nothings working. Please help..

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Have you made sure "WORK OFFLINE" isnt checked (If you use IE as your main browser)

Otherwise have you tried a system restore? (That fixes many things)

Good luck & Welcome to Daniweb :)

I do use IE as my main browser but I'm not working offline. I tried a system restore but had no luck there either.

Thanks for the welcome as well.

connect the dialup ,then go to start /run/type in CMD ,then type in ping www.google.com note the space between ping and www.
if it shows no packets lost then you are connected and problem is with ie6 ,type in www.google.com in ie6 address bar hit enter will it go to google ,if so search for and download firefox browser and try using it .

Thank you. It came up with no lost packets so I'm about to start downloading firefox. I will let you know how it goes.

But what about WoW not loading aswell? That wouldn't have anything to do with IE6 would it?

It could be that your ISP is having a major meltdown. It's tax time. Cable TV modems are especially prone to have this trouble.

If you are on a company-owned network, they may have put in a firewall to block timewasters.

Thank you all for your help :) It has sorted itself out somehow.

Thanks again.

Very g00d :)

Thank you all for your help :) It has sorted itself out somehow.

Thanks again.

This usually indicates an ISP problem.

Some possible causes:
- They lost a hard drive or some software
- They had a "denial of service" attack
- A software upgrade they installed was incompatible.
- They lost a major data transmission line.
- The power failed to part of their resources.
- They temporarily locked down because of a major malware threat.

hi
having a similar problem on windows vista, so searched the web for a solution and found this thred. i use both opera and IE7 and have nether will load web pages on my laptop, yet my pc loads them all fine connected to the same network on the same router. i have done ping tests to website via command prompt adn they seem to come ok, and both Wow and ventrillo both work fine, any thing i can try?

hi
having a similar problem on windows vista, so searched the web for a solution and found this thred. i use both opera and IE7 and have nether will load web pages on my laptop, yet my pc loads them all fine connected to the same network on the same router. i have done ping tests to website via command prompt adn they seem to come ok, and both Wow and ventrillo both work fine, any thing i can try?

- Are you using an ISP that allows only one computer. If so, it downloaded the passcodes to that computer, and will not work with any other.

- Does the router need to ID the computer using it in some way?

- Is software present on one computer which is missing on the other?

- Has the laptop been used somewhere else? Was it reconfigured to be used at the other location? If so, it may have to be reselected or reconfigured to be used on the router again. Your browser may have to be set up for the router again too.

You can have multiple connection-settings files, but you have to manually choose the one you are using each time you change connections.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.